Herald displays hard-hitting news

It's easy to criticize and typically a tad more difficult (for many) to compliment. Flaws often shine brighter than the solid scoop, strong lead or practically perfect photo. It's much easier to spot the radical column, oversized photo and lack of proper AP style use. Have we, as rather intelligent young people, become too critical? Perhaps. Are we too smart for our own good? I don't have that answer. However, as long as the comments remain constructive, I believe they have a purpose.

As an Ombudsman I strive to voice healthy a critique of The Badger Herald but this week it's, frankly, all about praise. I must be giddy today, don't get too used to it.

Newspaper staffs are rather accustomed to high turnover especially at the college level. This always brings a strong learning curve and a wide range of new ideas. People shift from position to position and a fresh breed of youngsters set up shop. Well, these new ones chugging away just a computer away from the veterans are sure catching on fast.

The Herald's coverage this past week of the University of Wisconsin Press' acquired debt was evidence of a staff sinking its teeth into issues relevant to students and in need of coverage. Not only did College Editor Mike Gendall write the story well but the editorial board followed the hard news with a strong analysis. Well done.

And while on the topic of UW news, Campus Editor John Potratz has also taken to the daily grind rather well, churning out story after story. Of particular note is his piece on the Associated Students of Madison's latest stunt and the Liz Waters gas scare. Again, well done.

With this new group of eccentric aspiring journalists typing away just a block off State, a few quirks are bound to surface. This is one of the significant perks of working at a student paper. Professionalism is always key, but few are going to blink an eye if some fun is had. A little laughter never hurt anyone, right? (Except for that one guy last year. Anyway.)

Quirks to catch:

– The Digest page can be overlooked due to its slew of often depressing international news stories and irritating Wisconsin weather forecasts. But adding a little fun to the mix is apparently in the game plan for the semester. Look out for slightly odd quotes of the day and Snapple-esque fun facts toward the bottom of the left column. Knowing that toads don't have teeth brightened my day.

– Scorecard: Managing Editor Mike Robinson has opted to continue the one-semester long tradition of this magazine style sports commentary column. For any sports fan, some "pointless bickering" is common practice, and I'm always up for a rant or two. Check it out every Thursday in the Sports section.

– Comics: Of course comic strips are a quirk. How can they not be, right? Well I don't think they are always funny. I've never been a comics reader. Actually more often than not, I find them to be far from comical. But this semester in the Herald, apart from everyone's favorite raccoon, a few newbies are gracing the page and bringing some strong artistic skills and good humor with them. Again, this is something to turn to.

Now if the Herald could fix up some of those AP style errors and keep photos to a reasonable size, it just may turn out to be quite a productive semester. But I have no doubt that next week I'll have something to critique and my giddy mood will have passed.

After all, there is always the opinion page to stir up some outrage.

Cristina Daglas, former editor in chief of The Badger Herald, is now the paper's ombudsman. Readers are encouraged to e-mail thoughts, criticisms and observations of the paper to [email protected] or call her at (608) 257-4712 ext. 168. Her column will appear every Thursday on this page.