From the desk of the editor

Welcome to the University of Wisconsin and the pages of The Badger Herald.

In less than a month, you will find yourself in one of America’s most charming small cities, studying at one of the country’s finest public universities and on a campus steeped in traditions that predate the Civil War.

Over 110 years ago, UW’s Board of Regents provided the school with a mission: “Whatever may be the limitations which trammel inquiry elsewhere, we believe that the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found.” These words guide Madison with a light as bright today as at the time of their scribing.

Your college education will surely not be confined to homework assignments, midday lectures and weekend study groups. The true UW experience is about an environment in which learning is omnipresent, maturity grows by the day and sifting and winnowing quickly become second nature.

For almost 36 years, The Badger Herald has been honored to be a part of that experience — first as a weekly alternative campus publication, now as the largest independent student newspaper in America. And that title of “independent” is something we take quite seriously. We do not receive handouts or loans from UW, the school has no control over our content and the voting membership of both our board of directors and editorial board is comprised entirely of students. It is our firm belief that if we are to be objective and honest, we must be devoid of all ties to those on whom we report.

So you are cordially invited to peruse the pages of this publication five days a week throughout the school year. Our News section will keep you informed, our Sports page will help you follow the goings on of Bucky Badger, our ArtsEtc. section will keep you up-to-date on all things cultural, the Opinion page will prove an interactive forum to a vastly diverse panoply of viewpoints, the Comics are always good for a laugh and, yes, the crossword puzzle should provide you with something to do when your most monotone professor has lost your attention.

For your convenience, our newspaper can be found in lecture halls all over campus, throughout the downtown community and online at https://www.badgerherald.com.

On Wisconsin!

Cheers,

Mac VerStandig

Editor in Chief