Rhetorical lessons collected in Madison

I still have a few memories of my early childhood. As a young boy learning to talk and developing my vocabulary, I always remember my parents insisting that I learn the words “please” and “thank you.” After more than two years of opinion writing for The Badger Herald, and in anticipation of my upcoming graduation, it is time for me to remember these important words.

First, thank you to the many close friends and family members who have helped me along the way in earning my degree — I could not have made it without your encouragement, prayers and other actions of support. I especially thank my parents, grandparents and all six of my siblings.

Next, I would like to express my gratitude to several individuals and groups of people here at UW-Madison.

I thank all my readers, especially those who offer their feedback — the good, the bad and the ugly. I have come to realize that one can expect an argument based on free market economic principles to generate some reaction. Write about issues pertaining to race and expect even more. Argue a position based even partially on Judeo-Christian beliefs and let the fireworks begin!

Nothing flies in the face of prevalent moral relativist thinking more than objective truth and morality. Apparently, the tolerance that relativists preach only extends to those regurgitating the politically correct ideas of academia.

Overall, these lessons build character and I learned a lot about the belief systems of others. I will miss these opportunities as I graduate and begin my career.

I want to thank all those who advised me in making the career decisions that I did. From offering advice on preparing my resume to making personal phone calls to check up on me during my co-op assignments, the staff of the Engineering Career Services (ECS) office has shown that they truly care about guiding students into the best possible career opportunities. After a long decision-making process this year, I chose a full-time position that I cannot wait to begin. I never would have had such a selection of employment offers without ECS assistance.

I also could not find such opportunities without classroom instruction, and I am grateful to my instructors that took pride in their teaching. In particular, I wish to thank Professor Nick Hitchon. He worked to learn the name of every student in our large introductory circuits class and brought a strong sense of enthusiasm. I quickly understood his popularity among undergraduates in the ECE department. Many other instructors bring that same cheerful attitude to class. Be sure to thank them on their evaluations or in other appropriate ways.

Outside of class, I participated in several student organizations and made many new friends. Among those organizations, I will always remember my experiences on College Republicans the most. I thank Nicole Marklein, the outgoing chair and a good personal friend for her outstanding leadership. The conservative movement on this campus has grown exponentially because of her efforts.

I thank everyone on ASM who had the interests of students, rather than special interests, in mind. I thank Erica Christenson, who always listened to my concerns pertaining to SSFC.

I want to extend my gratitude to my current and previous editors — Mac VerStandig, Eric Cullen and Paul Temple — who always allowed me free reign over the content of my columns. That’s a risk with my writing, but they always took it.

Finally, I want to thank my girlfriend LaVonne Derksen for being so supportive of me, especially during the hard times. For that, I consider myself truly fortunate.

Even at this large university, no two students’ experiences are truly alike. But one thing is almost guaranteed: we will have family, friends and other individuals who accompany us and truly make a difference.

I encourage all of you reading this to please take the time to thank those people in your life. I truly believe that, as students blessed and fortunate enough to attend a major university, most of us have many individuals deserving of our appreciation.

Mark A. Baumgardner ([email protected]) graduates with a bachelor of science in electrical engineering.