Tuition hikes drive students from UW

Next semester may be a little bit different for many students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, as many may not be here. With tuition at an all time high and constantly rising, the question must be asked: how valuable is a Wisconsin education?

Gov. Doyle is the first Democratic governor of Wisconsin in more than 16 years, and he may well be the reason tuition has gone up 56 percent over the past several years.

He claims that he “is working to move Wisconsin forward — creating jobs, expanding access to health care, and most importantly, investing in Wisconsin’s future, our kids,” according to the Wisconsin State Government website.

The leaders of tomorrow need education today to help individuals progress toward their full potential. Although 18-to-22-years-olds, the common age of most college students, are considered adults under the law, they are not adults in many other aspects. Numerous students pay for their own education, thus paying for their own future. This future is in jeopardy of being destroyed by the Governor’s newly proposed 2005-07 budget.

According to United Council of UW Students Feb. 8, Gov. Doyle projected to increase tuition 14 percent. While this may equate to a relatively small fee for in-state students, those from other states will likely pay even more.

He has also planned to limit funding to scholarships for low-income students and students of color, and eliminate many UW janitors’ jobs. So everything should work out: fewer students attending UW and fewer janitors. What’s next — fewer professors, teaching assistants and workers for campus food?

Chancellor Wiley said of Gov. Doyle’s proposed plan, “Significant adjustments undoubtedly will be made in the course of legislative review, and the UW-Madison campus will need to cut an estimated $20 million to $25 million, which will then be reallocated as part of funding all authorized expenditures. Campus officials are working hard to develop options that will minimize the impact on our core mission, and additional information will be shared as it becomes available.” The chancellor added, “Despite the hardships that will come with this exercise, it is important to stress that the proposed budget includes new money to help us meet key objectives.” That statement sounds as if the chancellor supports the students’ position.

Since he made that statement Feb. 10, Chancellor Wiley continues to seemingly lobby for students, but last week legislators’ aides announced that he has been supporting Gov. Doyle the entire time, according to a representative of the United Council of UW Students.

A protest took place Feb. 24 at the Capitol where students and professors from all around the state rallied against this tuition increase and all of its negative effects. The total number of students was in the thousands. They presented doors signed by fellow students to symbolize why UW should keep its doors open.

After persistent efforts, students were able to personally deliver the signed doors to state leaders. Although leaders accepted the doors and the students’ comments, it is probable that they will not give students’ demands due meditation.

As a freshman, I have enjoyed UW-Madison and do not believe that I could have been as successful, academically or socially, at any other school. Along with many other students, I may not feel that same happiness next semester, as I may be found elsewhere if tuition rises once again.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a freshman intending to major in journalism.