Green-light immigrants

Do most immigrants have terrorist tendencies? Although lawmakers quickly answer “no” to this loaded question, their true response may be a case of actions speaking louder than words — and there is no shortage of either with respect to this controversial topic.

As Representatives Mark Gundrun of New Berlin and James Sensenbrenner of Menomonee Falls have indicated, the 9/11 terrorists’ use of multiple state-issued drivers’ licenses is evidence of the need to close a gaping national security loophole. Consequently, Gundrun and Sensenbrenner almost simultaneously introduced state and federal legislation that would require all citizens and immigrants to show proof they are in the country legally to obtain a driver’s license.

Under the new regulations, immigrants would need to present a visa or passport, along with basic proof of name, birth date and residency. The obvious result of this legislation would be the denial of thousands of driver’s license requests — 41,000 in Wisconsin, according to an illegal immigrant population survey conducted in 2000 by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Initially, this legislation may seem like a smart way to deny malevolent illegal aliens the means to obtain dangerous weapons and travel privileges without government discretion. However, it is important to remember that national security begins at the local level — where this bill’s effects may have dangerous and morally deplorable consequences.

By denying illegal immigrants drivers’ licenses, the state is not making a problem disappear — it’s not even keeping the problem off the road. The vast majority of illegal immigrants are not terrorists — they only use their drivers’ licenses for intended purposes. This means driving to work each day — something immigrants will continue to do out of bare necessity. Some may turn to an underground economy for state drivers’ licenses (for a connection near you, just inquire at the nearest University of Wisconsin dorm). Others will skip this hassle, and take to the streets without identification.

Wisconsin citizens must ask themselves if this “security measure” is worth it. Is having community roads and highways full of uneducated and uninsured drivers the most effective answer to the situation?

While the debate continues in the state capital, it is also taking place in Washington, where Sensenbrenner has introduced the Real ID Act. This bill includes the proposed Wisconsin legislation, as well as drastic anti-immigration extras. In addition to denying illegal immigrants drivers’ licenses, Sensenbrenner’s bill will make it more difficult to seek asylum in America and proposes the construction of a wall along the southwestern border of the country to discourage illegal border-crossing. This legislation has already passed the House with a vote of 261-161 and is waiting for Senate deliberation.

What is especially important for Wisconsin citizens is that the Real ID Act would render current drivers’ licenses in Wisconsin useless for federal identification. Under Sensenbrenner’s plan, states must agree to deny illegal immigrants drivers’ licenses if they want their IDs to serve national identification purposes — such as being acceptable identification for boarding planes or purchasing guns. This potential national provision gives the vote regarding Gundrun’s bill in Wisconsin added importance, as it will have obvious repercussions for immigrants and citizens alike.

With safety on the line, and the state and national vote pending, politicians must strongly consider the potential effects of this bill. Sensenbrenner said, “immigrants are not terrorists — except a few of them — and we ought to divide the debate between security and immigration,” to the Wisconsin State Journal. These are intelligent words from a well-meaning politician and should be translated into political action. By denying illegal immigrants their drivers-license privileges, we are not only endangering their well-being, but that of drivers everywhere. Instead of curbing national security threats, this legislation will only multiply the dangers on roads in Madison, highways of Wisconsin and the interstates across America.

Sarah Howard ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science.