Militarism overwhelms American culture

War is hell, or is it? Recently, Lt. General James Mattis of the U.S. Marine Corps offered a very different view of combat. “It’s a hell of a hoot,” he declared, adding, “I like brawling; it’s fun to shoot some people.” Now, ignore the instinct to believe that the aforementioned comment was a misquote — it wasn’t. As much as the General’s comments may come as a shock, this attitude is little more than a manifestation of American culture.

Disciplining Lt. General Mattis (although it should be noted that, according to BBC news, no disciplinary action has yet been taken against him) would seem an easy solution to the U.S. military’s latest embarrassment; but perhaps the actual problem runs far deeper than a verbal blunder.

While a great public outcry might occur in response to the General’s blatant disrespect for the horrors of war, should we really be surprised by his comments? American culture soaks people in a bloodbath of glorified war daily. In a country dominated by movies, books and music that trumpet the military’s triumphs but so often omit its travesties, it’s no wonder that people often trivialize war.

The broad influence of a militaristic culture on Americans is certainly disturbing, but perhaps more so is the culture’s specific influence on American children. Growing up in a military culture where becoming a soldier is among the most honorable things one can do, kids learn to embrace war. They drive army-themed Powerwheels, dress up as rifle-toting soldiers, and play video games that make light of human mutilation on the frontlines. It would be easy to dismiss such childish activities as harmless, but there seem to be striking similarities between such child’s play and the slogans often used in reference to modern military campaigns.

Hearing phrases like “shock and awe,” and “bring ’em on,” both used to allude to the current war in Iraq, one has to wonder whether Americans ever grow out of their immature attitudes toward war.

Although tragic, it can probably be expected for the entertainment industry to glorify war. After all, entertainment is a business that is designed to make money, and war sells.

However, the glorification of war is increasingly being preached from a far more sacred pulpit: the American media. In an increasingly corporate U.S. media, viewer sentiments, like nationalism, are habitually reflected as part of an effort by the various news outlets to garner high ratings and, in effect, high profits.

During the 2003 run-up to the Iraq war, the American media seemed to be little more than a cheerleader of the military, with U.S. flag lapels and patriotic news slogans to be seen everywhere. How much more could war be trivialized than by counting down the seconds to the U.S. invasion of Iraq, as MSNBC did? It’s difficult to expect objectivism from an American citizen whose newspaper has essentially condemned opponents of a war as treasonous. Such an environment causes people to root for war as if it were a football game.

It’s probable that the American public will quickly denounce Lt. General James Mattis for verbally describing his simplistic view of war and soon forget the ordeal altogether. Unfortunately, while people shake their fingers at the General, their own children will be in front of the television, aspiring to do exactly what Mattis called “fun.”

Only when American culture becomes drastically less hawkish will such reckless views of war disappear. Lt. General James Mattis’s comments regarding war are not the issue. If anything, they are a wake-up call for all Americans to begin addressing the real problem: a culture that promotes war.

Rob Rossmeissl ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science.