UW drops ball on physical education

Who doesn’t remember those intense games of dodge ball during your fourth grade physical education class? According to a recent article by the Associated Press, quite a few of you may not. Studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that many schools nationwide are cutting down on physical education requirements. Today, only one state in the nation, our neighbor Illinois, requires a daily period of physical education for all students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. In other states, however, the number of students participating in physical education is dropping significantly, and by the time they are seniors in high school, physical education is history. The Associated Press provided several reasons for the decline in athleticism, including a lack of interest in physical fitness on the part of students, to the poor quality of physical education teachers nationwide.

Many high school students find ways to weasel out of physical education requirements, and some of their schools make it quite easy to do so. Some schools exempt students who are athletes, disregarding the fact that some of those students must be sitting on the bench and are really not being as active as they would be if they were in the regular physical education classes with non-athletes. Other schools offer programs where if a student is enrolled in six academic classes they are not required to register for a physical education class. Other students, determined to be as inactive as possible, manage to obtain doctors notes excusing them from physical education for various reasons, or fake an illness conveniently during their physical education class, landing them in the nurse’s office for the rest of the period.

Most importantly though, is the inconsistency that can be seen when examining the physical education program on the college level. Here at the University of Wisconsin, for example, we pride ourselves in having one of the best athletic programs in the country. This seems to be limited, however, to the major spectator sports like football and basketball. When it comes down to the physical health of the majority of the student body, there is a disappointing shift to an athletic atmosphere that has few options, resources and outlets for students to become physically fit.

There are less than 50 choices for physical education classes that also offer academic credit. The different locations available for students to work out independently are adequate in quality, but not in quantity, lacking the capacity to serve the large student body. Many students, in fact, are turned away from working out independently purely because they dread the wait to get on the machine of their choice, or feel too intimidated to go into certain areas like the weight rooms because they are usually predominantly male. The lack of flexibility and choice in physical education here at UW is detrimental to the average college student.

Being physically active has been proven to be beneficial for so many reasons. It decreases stress and anxiety, as well as prevents illnesses like heart disease and high cholesterol. Besides those typical reasons that everyone has had drilled into their minds since they took health class, there are several reasons that physical education should be taken more seriously. For one, it’s fun.

How many times during your typical week at UW do you let loose and have fun, not including rowdy nights at the local bars? My guess is not often enough. Perhaps if UW were to adopt a physical education program similar to other schools like Cornell University, which requires all of their undergraduates to take at least two semesters of physical education, school would be a little more fun, and a little less stressful. Instead of complaining about breadth requirements and how to fulfill your ethnic studies credits, you could be bowling on Wednesday afternoons with your friends for credit.

Although many of you may be disgruntled by this idea, particularly those of you who dealt with strong physical education programs throughout elementary, middle and high school, the aforementioned Associated Press article made the point that a consistent fitness program is the key to a physically fit life. If those of us who had a significant physical education program in high school later face a similarly tough program in college, we will consequently have better physical skills, nurturing a dedication to staying fit well after we graduate and move on from credits and college.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in Journalism.