A ‘head’ in advertising

[media-credit name=’AP PHOTO’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]FOREHEAD-ADVERTISING_416[/media-credit]One of the most difficult aspects of being a student in the current economy is earning enough money to make ends meet. Certainly the heavy burden of classes, studying and the occasional night out socializing greatly limits the time left in the day to get a serious job that pays serious cash.

I’m here to tell you that the days of “insufficient funds” are over. It’s time to catch onto the next marketing sensation, as well as a substantial paycheck, and get into body advertising.

That’s right, all you have to do is provide a little bit of skin for some advertiser to plaster words on and you too can be living the good life.

This is the idea of 20-year-old Andrew Fischer of Omaha, Neb. It seems Mr. Fischer, who is currently employed as a webpage designer (also known as a poor, down-on-his-luck shmuck), needed a little cash infusion and thought what better way than to whore himself out to the anti-snoring establishment. So he, with a little help from his friends at eBay (they truly do have everything on eBay), auctioned off his forehead to the highest bidder.

Thirty-seven thousand dollars later (I’m not making that number up, 37,000 real American dollars!) and SnoreStop is the official snoring remedy of Andrew Fischer’s forehead.

What a genius!

My only question is: where do I sign up?

This is definitely the end of economic woes for college students across this fine nation. There is no greater target market than that 18-25 demographic, and no one is exposed to more 18-25-year-olds than other 18-25-year-olds. If advertisers are smart, they will soon be scouring campuses across the country looking for silky smooth foreheads that have yet to be tapped as the next great walking, talking billboard.

Of course there is some downside to this, as that ridiculous SnoreStop logo tattooed to Fisher’s forehead probably hasn’t enhanced his social life.

But hey, with 37 large in his back pocket, there probably is enough left over to convince his friends that he doesn’t look that goofy.

The other concern here is that as more and more people realize just what an incredible deal this is, the market will come crashing down. If students don’t act quickly enough they will be forced to don Bob’s Burger Barn on their foreheads with only a few hundred bucks to show for their efforts. What would be worse than that?

Here are a few caveats to setting up your own advertising dynasty.

1. Remember, there is more to your head than just your forehead. Shave your whole dome and maximize your potential. Sure, SnoreStop looks fabulous across your forehead for $37,000, but wouldn’t GoldenPalace.com really accent the look as it wraps around your skull for another grand or two? The only caution here would be to use a safety razor as there is no need to knick or cut that pristine advertising palette.

2. Hold yourself to the highest standards. I sure don’t want to see a bunch of XXX websites parading about on campus; I get enough of those when I’m surfing the web and checking my e-mail. Plus, family-friendly advertising will far out-gain anything else, at least in the long run.

3. Like any business, never turn your nose up at opportunity. Not everyone can have the Nike swoosh on their forehead; someone has to be the SnoreStop spokes-head too. The fact is, the more outrageous the advertising, the more likely that the big bucks will be rolling in.

4. Set yourself apart. You need to stick out to attract the best advertisers possible. Like Fischer, the apparent master himself, said, “People will always comment on something out of the ordinary.” Having SnoreStop, or any other business’ logo tattooed on your forehead certainly is classified as out of the ordinary.

Just remember, all it takes is a good head for business, and you too can be living the good life while living out the rest of your college days in the luxury afforded by a big advertising contract.

As for me, I’ve got an eBay account to set up.

Ryan Knickmeyer ([email protected]) is contributing sports editor.