Keys to life in Madison

I’m assuming that I am going to have a tough time this semester. Balancing work, class, friends, fun and, most importantly, reality. I have been noticing myself waking up in the middle of the night with sleep-induced anxiety attacks. Finding my thoughts wandering ahead a few months — to May. Graduation. Getting a job. Leaving this place.

Leaving this place. Oh shit. What do I do now?

I remember clearly four years ago my parents moving me into the dorms, driving away and me standing there, freaking out. I was always independent, but I was dropped in the middle of Madison, Wis., knowing a few people I met at SOAR and not a person in sight. I thought I was going to crack — I would never make it here. Looking back I can laugh at myself — I’m good at self-deprecation; I acted like the most ridiculous 18-year-old, who should have been thrilled that they were getting to move out on their own and explore life. Here’s the thing: people don’t actually think this way all the time. It usually doesn’t occur until you have time for reflection on a chapter that is closed in your life, or one that is nearing the end.

I obviously cannot summarize my four years here in one article, but I can say this: I am capable of looking back on each year and noticing something different about myself. The way I act, think, interact with people and appreciate things has changed as I have grown up each year. I’m sure you can do the same. It’s amazing how one sees themselves change right before their own eyes. And you didn’t even know you were growing until you were done.

I’ve been able to figure out a lot of things for myself, both important and unimportant. Here’s a few unimportant (but yet very important) ones:

Madison is one of the most comfortable places to be as a student. After a short-adjustment time, it’s easy to get everything down to a science.

1. You want to take most classes in Humanities or Vilas. You want to avoid the Hill at all costs.

2. State Street was maybe not part of the best city planning, but is a great resource for food, fun and, oh yes, bars.

3. People here are so nice (for the most part) — I’m always amazed how my friends from different regions of the country haven’t experienced Mid-Western courtesy before. This also ties into the fact that if you’re from a fast-paced city, people here move slowly. So be patient. And stop swearing.

4. Online classes are a must. (Again, avoid the Hill.)

5. If you want something like fresh turkey, we know that’s hard to find. Boar’s Head is a rare treat.

6. Chicken noodle soup when you’re sick? Not possible, unless you’re eating Campbell’s. If you find it in a restaurant, it’s probably green.

7. Remember that when people ask you why you chose Wisconsin, save time from them asking you “but isn’t it so cold?” by answering with “I chose it because I love the cold. I love snow. Ice. Blizzards. Slipping and falling. Really.”

8. If you’re not in the business school, chances are that you’re major doesn’t have enough money to even let students use paper because they can’t afford it. So start pulling those grades up and get a math tutor.

9. This is the best place on earth. Kids from Arizona or Indiana may try and challenge you. Smile and nod.

10. There is a difference between a police officer and a JBM Patrol man. So, if an officer on a bike show’s up at your party, check his badge.

And last … being in Madison means being in Central Time. That means, when Desperate Housewives starts at 9 p.m., it really starts at 8 p.m. Keep in mind that if you are going home to the east or west coast, or another time zone, the 8 p.m. show time does not follow you.

See, don’t you feel like an adult now? You’ve got this all figured out, along with a Big Ten education.

Lindsay Zuckerman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism.