Future full of post-election hope

The Democratic Party suffered a few major blows in last week's election. President Bush was re-elected. Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle lost his bid for re-election. The Republicans now have a 55 to 44 (and 1 Independent) lead over Democrats in the Senate. House Republicans gained one seat for a 232 to 201 (and 1 Independent) lead. Gay marriage bans passed in all 11 states that had it on the ballot.

These statistics make the current situation look pretty bleak for the left. However, are things really that bad? Is there any hope for the future?

Of course there is!

What is it that you hear about this election? More people voted for this president than in any other election. Sure. But what you don't hear is that more people voted against this president than in any other election. That's what happens when there is record high turnout and the winning margin is three percent. That is not the clear mandate giving you so much political capital to spend that you seem to think it is, Mr. President.

This election excited people. People on both sides of the fence were involved and engaged in the democratic process. The whole thing was exhilarating. To see others — those who aren't political science majors and don't usually feel compelled to pay attention to politics — actually talking about the system and the issues was a remarkable change and huge step forward. Turnout was 60 percent nationwide. Although that's not quite as high as it should be, it's a start. Hopefully this can last until the next midterm election and further on down the road.

The Senator-elect from Illinois Barack Obama, in his now-famous keynote speech at the DNC, stated that what America is all about is having "the audacity of hope." Well Democrats, this is your call to action. Today we find ourselves in need of courage and hope. Don't let Obama down; he's counting on you.

The Democratic Party is facing some changes in leadership. With this new leadership comes new enthusiasm and new ideas. Our party is now the socially liberal party that is fiscally responsible. The new Republican Party is no longer the party of balancing the budget. That's our job now.

Politicians like Obama are the future of the Democratic Party. He is young, brilliant, idealistic, charismatic and socially liberal. He is focused on uniting the country and doing what is right, even if he stands alone. Another rising star in the Party is from right here in Wisconsin: we have the incomparable Democratic Senator Feingold who just won his third term in office after standing up as the lone voice against the Patriot Act, part of which was recently declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. Good foresight, Senator Feingold.

Our hope for the future comes not only from politicians, but campaign workers and enthusiasts as well. Young Democrats from all over the country moved to swing states to help with the campaign, took semesters off from college (like my friend Dave), or took time off after graduating and before heading out to the workforce or graduate school. We must build and be positive so we can step up to the plate now and face the difficulties that are in front of us.

The small town of Portage, WI is another testament to the new wave of energized Democrats that will emerge from this tragedy. In a city of roughly 9,000 people, the Democrats there are banding together in their storefront headquarters in the city's downtown and organizing to fight for their beliefs. Instead of burying their heads in the sand, they are building their Democratic Party infrastructure. They are coming out of this sad, but stronger and more determined than ever.

This momentum must not fade now. We may be down, but we're not going anywhere. In order for the two-party system not to become a dictatorship, we must act. In order for the Christian Coalition's agenda not to become the U.S. agenda, we must act. In order for gays not to become more like second-class citizens in their own country, we must act. And in order to stop racial profiling against Arabs and blacks, we must act. We are the grassroots party of the people.

So, take the time you need to recover from the election. It was quite shocking for all of us. And then get back out there. This is not the time to give up; the country needs us now more than ever.

Julie Isen ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science.