What happens in Madison stays in Madison

You probably know the rule, “What happens in Cancun stays in Cancun.” Often invoked around campus in the late weeks of March, it’s meant to prevent friends from divulging the scandalous spring-break activities of their fellow travelers during their week away from school. These less-than-admirable activities — whether an R-rated dance party or just a phenomenal degree of intoxication — are all details of a college student’s spring break that that many would want to keep under wraps. The upcoming Halloween weekend could provide some interesting, shall we say, entertainment. Should we apply the “stays in Cancun” rule to our Halloween celebrations?

Some of you may say that Halloween weekend is only a little bit crazier than an average weekend here in Madison. Honestly, though, we all know what really happens on Halloween. Girls get to assemble costumes that rarely resemble anything more than a short skirt and tiny shirt, and guys get to offer these girls sporting angel wings and bunny ears an endless number of drinks. People who celebrate Halloween in Madison tend to drink heavily. Some will drink to the point of losing parts of their coveted Halloween costume. A lot will do something that, come Monday morning, they will regret.

Halloween weekend pushes aside the social etiquette that usually governs Madison social life. No matter who you are or who you know, this is the one weekend of the year where you will not be admitted into a party just by showing up. This, in turn, prompts a lot of planning, pleading and desperate begging to get your name on “the list.” This is also the weekend where anybody who has ever been the least bit curious about Halloween in Madison decides to make the trek, no matter where they are from, to experience the festivities first-hand. Dorm occupancy triples, and before you know it there are six people sleeping on your floor and another on the phone complaining about a layover in Chicago. Then the issue of costumes returns. There are always the boys who decide to be clever and dress up as “Girls Gone Wild” photographers. Let this be known: this is only a costume. All of these things seem to be acceptable only on Halloween weekend.

Last year, when I was a freshman, stories seeped through the dorms of events that I could only imagine. I learned that handcuffs provoked interesting situations at frat parties, and there were a lot of cute Michigan boys looking for one-night stands with Madison girls. Best friends were seen making out with each other, and the buddy system was completely abandoned as the rainstorm sent everyone running in all directions. I know that not everyone will do things that they will be ashamed of after the weekend, but it’s interesting how Halloween can justify just about anything.

Of course, not everyone will do things Halloween weekend they will be ashamed of later, but it is important for everyone to know that the “stays in Cancun” rule is not in effect. Most things that happen this weekend are things that you will never be able to live down. I have a friend whose most embarrassing life stories stem from last year’s Halloween. This year, when her roommates started discussing their costumes and their plans, all of the stories that she wished they had forgotten were rehashed repeatedly. New people were informed of exactly what happened, and my friend, well, she had left the room by this point.

Those who intend to party hard this Halloween should remember we will still be here next week, seeing each other on our walks to class and in our discussion sections. So before slapping a pair of handcuffs on that cute guy, and before going shot for shot with the girl in the flapper costume, consider that although you may not remember it, someone else will. And talk about it.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.