Kerry rally bodes well for election results

What a surreal experience — musicians, politicians, one certain presidential hopeful, thousands and thousands of people, signs, confetti and West Wash. Just another day in our good ol’ city of Madison.

The Massachussetts Senator’s last city stop before Election Day made history with an attendance of more than 80,000 Thursday, pulling in more people than a sold-out Badger game at Camp Randall Stadium and an all-time record for the state of Wisconsin. While praise is deserved in more than one area, it is essential to note the amazing sense of cooperation on all parts in the city of Madison. Students, police, politicos and, hell, even the Secret Service came together for an event that went off to a bystander’s eye without a hitch. And we even had ‘The Boss!”

This was a peaceful party with speeches from our favorite local celebrities and songs from a couple damn good musicians. But it was more than that. There was something in the air … something more than just a rally with thousands stretching to the Capitol. Dave Grohl conversed with students after the rally, Bruce Springsteen watched John Kerry speak from a student’s house, Mayor Dave sported a BoSox hat and more than 80,000 partied and cheered in the streets. More than 80,000!

Being lifted above the crowd on a crane, observing as the masses walked away from a good three hours of standing was peaceful, content and, yes, surreal. A glimmer of hope, perhaps? A sign of things to come? Hell, if the BoSox can win the World Series, Kerry can be our next president. I refuse to believe it is so far stretched.

Typically, a political event is a political event. There’s wooing on all fronts, signs and cheering. It’s nothing new and usually dull. This time around Kerry directed his message at students … Kerry showed us that he is indeed on our side. Kerry spoke in a conversational tone, and yet a strong manner, making solid points.

As students at the University of Wisconsin, we are privileged to attract events such as this that bring in national attention. Thursday’s event was even put on hold to wait 30 minutes between Grohl and Springsteen for national press to arrive.

The rally shined with the true spirit of Madison. Packed porches, music, masses of people and beer speak.

Next time, let’s just make sure Gov. Doyle doesn’t spit out any more ridiculous puns when introducing a musician. Who gave that speech a stamp of approval? Regardless of how embarrassing those puns may have been, it was a good chuckle for all in what was a free-spirited yet intense afternoon. Congratulations, Madison, on an afternoon well-spent.

My grandma summed it up best: “All of you young people like that John Kerry, and you just may get him elected.”

Kerry is known for his last-push campaigning tactics, and, if Madison is any indication of his success in Wisconsin and other swing states, then ladies and gentleman, let’s hope for the best at the polls! Get out and vote.