A lesson in Madison etiquette

One of my first childhood memories is of kindergarten. Every time we left our classroom, I would walk, along with my 20 or so other classmates, in a single-file line to our destination, usually a room just down the hall. Each time we were about to leave the room, without fail, our teacher Mrs. Pickelle would remind us to “hold the door for the person behind us” and that whoever was last in line was responsible for turning off the light. Years later, I often think about Mrs. Pickelle, and the common courtesies she tried to instill in 20 sticky-fingered, trouble-making 5-year-olds.

Now, as I go through my daily routine of going to class, going to the gym and other mundane activities, I wonder: are these courtesies really all that common?

Many of you are probably expecting a male-bashing article, all about how boys don’t buy girls enough drinks, don’t open enough doors, and don’t constantly bow down to girl’s needs. This is not the case. Generally, both males and females are responsible for the lack of chivalry on our campus. Regardless, I am hoping that everyone will become more aware of how we all treat our fellow students.

First, does it really take that much longer to wait and hold the door for the person behind you? I don’t think so. My day was brightened today when, upon stopping into the Langdon to use their ATM machine, a boy was exiting the door, and, despite obviously being in a rush, stopped and held the door open until I was close enough to grab it from him. He probably thought I was crazy when I thanked him profusely. I was just so pleasantly surprised by his manners that I couldn’t help myself.

On a similar note, there is the issue of elevators. One of my girlfriends described a game that she and her friends used to play when they lived in Ogg last year. When the elevator reached the lobby and a guy would get out before the girls, they would stare at him with contempt. Some may question if the five seconds wasted waiting in the elevator is really going to be life altering. Life altering, no. Irritating, definitely.

One of the most surprising things I have experienced while at school in Madison is that despite the huge student body, I find myself running into the same people again and again. Why, then, when I try to be nice and wave, smile or say a quick “hi” to people I recognize from various classes or events, I feel stupid and somewhat insulted when I get not even a nod in return? The worst is when people recognize you, look you straight in the eye, and then instead of smiling or saying hi, just continue on their way. At least make the effort to pretend you don’t see me. That way at least I’ll know (or try to convince myself) that you didn’t ignore me on purpose.

If you’re anything like me, sitting in the middle of the row in a large lecture hall is reason enough for a panic attack. The idea of having no fewer than 10 people on either side of you, trapping you in the row, is my worst nightmare. It is for this reason that I always sit on the aisle in lecture halls (as well as movie theaters, if you must know). Of course, someone has to sit in the middle of the row, and these are the people I admire. I happily stand up for them, fold my desk down, and generally move out of their way to help them get in the narrow row. Often I witness people partaking it some intricate acrobatic act, trying not to spill their coffee while hopping over backpacks, legs and flip-flops, all to get to their seats in a crowded lecture hall. Can we all agree to please just stand up and move, and let everyone sit where they want to sit?

I remember in middle school we were all so happy to be free of the single file lines that ruled our elementary school life. We could walk where we pleased, do what we pleased and were generally feeling great about ourselves. Now, in college, we enjoy even more freedom in our daily lives. I beg of you, though, let us not forget the simple lessons we all grew up learning and practicing. You may have left behind your crayons and toys a long time ago, but please don’t forget your manners.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in Journalism.