Musical chairs

The Associated Students of Madison’s latest entry into the realm of the unbelievable involves a suit filed by Brad Vogel, a justice on Student Judiciary, against Chief Justice Nathanial Romano. In his suit, Vogel claims that he has been prematurely discharged from his judicial seat by Romano and Nominations Board Chair Adam Schlict.

The details of this case have yet to emerge in full, and this board elects to withhold judgment on the suit’s merits at this time.

However, far more disturbing than the allegations made by Vogel are the actions taken by Romano following the suit’s filing. Acting unilaterally, the Chief Justice determined that he is not an appropriate defendant for the case, removed his name from the suit and replaced it with that of Emily McWilliams, Student Council chair.

It is wrong that Romano should be able to simply remove himself from a suit before the very body that he chairs. The most sensible course of action would have been for Romano to instead recuse himself and avoid even the appearance of impropriety in judging the matter. That he has done the exact opposite — remaining in authority only to take swift action clearly in his own favor — is a significant blemish both upon his reputation and that of the court.

Moreover, the decision to add McWilliams as a defendant can only be described as bizarre. That Vogel is now proceeding in a suit against someone he never elected to charge as a defendant is nonsensical.

But then again, those same words might be borrowed to describe the current state of ASM.