McDonell for County Board

Of the many local races and decisions facing students in today’s election, one of the most crucial is the race for County Board Supervisor, District 1. After a careful examination of the competitors — challenger Frank Harris and incumbent Scott McDonell — we believe McDonell represents the best choice for students.

In a race that has garnered relatively little media attention and even less enthusiasm among the student body, this election may be easy to forget. Yet the relevance of the decisions made by the County Board are not without direct impact on the student body. For example, the County Board can regulate the property-tax levy, which can, in turn, influence the price of rent. The board also works on myriad other issues, including funding for important campus issues and environmental protection.

Unfortunately for the student body, the only currently active student running in the election — Frank Harris — has made a mockery of the competitive process. He flung false accusations at McDonell in a January press release and then, when confronted, said, “I just like playing the game of politics. It’s really fun. It amuses me.”

The County Board is not fun and games. It is real politics where trust, truth, and ideas should come to the fore. That candidate Frank Harris sees it as a means for his personal amusement is reason enough not to vote for him.

Incumbent Scott McDonell has served the mostly Capitol-area neighborhood of District 1 well since his election as a student in 1996. He chairs the Personnel and Finance Committee, a high-ranking position which he has used to benefit the campus community — he has worked tirelessly for anti-sexual-assault awareness programming as well as for increased resources to the Tenant Resource Center.

The choice today is clear. Vote for the student interest. Vote for Scott McDonell.