Re-electing President Bush

We stand at the brink of what will likely prove to be one of the most intense election cycles in recent American history. And it is a unique moment: The most contentious subjects are not just the differences of opinion with which we as a nation have become accustomed but a true, stark difference of values. They promise to transform this election into an ideological war.

On the right, you have Gen. Karl Rove paving the way for a second Bush administration. And on the left, well, it isn’t so clear. And in Rove’s mind, that’s the whole point. Whatever you may think of him, he has a plan to re-elect Bush, and it seems to be right on schedule. As a believer in the values of democracy, I would like to ask you a favor, be you a Democrat or a Republican: Stop him. (And I call myself a conservative.)

America is heading down the path Rove has laid out for it. Now, to be sure, George Bush is my man. I may be an upper-middle-class Jew from a cushy North Shore suburb of Chicago, but I agree with more of his policies than those of any Democratic contender. I believe the war in Iraq is justified, necessary and good, and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the War on Terror. I believe that the economy is improving and will continue to improve, and I am in support of many (not all) of his domestic policies.

I do not want George Bush to be president simply because I don’t want Howard Dean to be president; my support of Bush is not so simplistic. But this is the battle Rove has set in motion. His plan, unquestionably one of political genius, has the correct ends in mind, but the incorrect means. The specifics are as follows:
1.

Let the Democrats talk themselves stupid and bash Dean until there are hours upon hours of recorded evidence. Then, use the sound bytes claiming he’s “unelectable” and “radical” spoken by Democrats themselves to make advertisements against Dean (the presumptive Democratic nominee at the time of this writing). By not mentioning Bush at all in these advertisements, Rove can make it seem like the Democrats themselves are campaigning against Dean (which, for some, is not far from the truth).
2.

De-legitimize all the independent liberal groups (such as MoveOn.org) by pointing to their most extreme of followers and exploiting every possible misstep. The Hitler-Bush ad is a perfect example of this strategy in action. Not only has the RNC found itself on the same side of the Anti-Defamation League, it will cause swing voters and centrists to feel more disenfranchised by the radicalization of the Democratic Party by the Dean campaign, and they will either a) not vote, or b) vote for Bush. Truly, the best and most honest of Rove’s strategies, and the only part of it of which I fully support.
3.

Copy Dick Morris’ Triangulation. Centrist candidates win, and Bush’s policy moves will follow this path over the next few months. Look for Bush to snatch up Democratic initiatives before they even have the chance, even if it means poor policy decisions, such as the recent immigration plan. Not only does this run contrary to protecting our homeland, it flies in the face of conservative ideology completely. But it’s a political move with one goal in mind: attracting Hispanic votes that would otherwise go to Democrats. Crafty, to be sure, but morally hollow. Of course, Bush’s plan is far less radical than anything a Democratic president would have done in his place, but this does not justify it.

Fellow conservatives, forgive me. I want nothing more than to watch the Democrats lose, but I cannot stand for a political move that will have bad consequences for the United States as a whole.

The first consequence is that this will allow Bush to focus the debate upon GOP strong points like defense, which is certainly good for those who want Bush to win but bad for America. Bush has a good plan across the board, and Americans should be informed of it, not simply led to gloss over it and ignore it.

When Bush speaks plainly, things work out. It’s this down-to-earth quality that Bush exuded in 2000 that allowed a Republican to defeat a popular administration’s natural successor, and if he wants to continue to grow the idea of compassionate conservativism, Rove’s political meandering will only serve to thwart his goals.

And, at the end of the day, both liberals and conservatives alike should demand from America’s leadership an open and full debate of the ideas. It is my honest belief that only in this way will a Bush victory ever be deemed legitimate, and only in this way will Bush truly be remembered as a great leader.

Zach Stern ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science and economics.