Time to back your words with actions

Ah, there’s something to be said about political mudslinging. Perhaps the beauty of mudslinging is that it allows you to attack opinions you do not like without actually having to back up your own claims, which comes in handy when your own claims are either unfounded or incomprehensible.

There’s also something to be said about backing your words with actions. You can sit back and philosophize about improving your community and the world all you want, but unless you are willing to put theory into reality and “put your money where your mouth is,” you’re just wasting your time. Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) will be out cleaning up University Avenue this Tuesday, Nov. 18, once again proving that we back up our words and ideas with actions.

Recently, the Herald printed two negative articles in an attempt to discredit and cast doubt upon the hard work CFACT has done for students to enhance public awareness of important issues. However, if you actually look at the facts, it is easy to see such commentaries are nothing more than ill-founded cheap shots.

One editorial board article claimed CFACT has never made public its thoughts about the new power plant to be built next to the Natatorium and has never tried to stimulate debate or discussion among the student body about it. Weird; that editorial was published just three days after CFACT President Nick Pongratz had published, in that very same paper, an op-ed article about the power plant. Talk about short-term memory loss.

Then there was the Nov. 4 letter to the editor from an Infoshop volunteer that did nothing more than claim “Big Business and ‘The Man'” are out to get you by building a power plant to give the city and University more energy. This is an example of yet another conspiracy theory that attempts to scare people from pursuing a real option while at the same time not proposing any viable alternatives.

In its short history, CFACT has always backed its beliefs with actions, and such recent mudslinging only makes it even more appropriate to bring to everyone’s attention that CFACT will be “adopting a highway” on Tuesday, Nov. 18 to clean up a section of University Avenue.

Many “environmentalists” do a lot of talk but don’t back it up with action when it comes to improving our environment. CFACT members are going to get their hands dirty, literally, doing something constructive to help our habitat locally, while having fun at the same time. All students and community members are welcome to join us, especially organizations committed to community service.

Meet us at 1:45 p.m. Nov. 18 at the CFACT office, 31 University Square. We will then clean up the highway until 4:30 p.m. Afterwards, everyone is welcome to enjoy pizza and soda back at the CFACT office and listen to CFACT Executive Director Craig Rucker speak about constructivism and answer any questions. We will also have a regular meeting to discuss events and activities for the future.

So if you are truly dedicated to improving the environment and would like to enjoy a fun social activity while doing so, we hope to see you Nov. 18. After all, it takes much more than political mudslinging, name calling and subscribing to conspiracy theories to bring real change to environmental issues.

Blake Anthony Klinkner ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in international relations, German and political science. He is the public relations director of CFACT.