Reflections on a tragedy: Where are we after 9/11?

Events on the scale of Sept. 11, 2001, usually prove to be catalysts for change. What direction that change takes depends on the response of those affected by such events.

An essential part of this change is engaging in a sincere process of reflection. It was Thomas Paine who once said: “I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection.” That said, these are my reflections, as a UW student, as a member of the Madison community, as a Muslim and as an American.

Sept. 11 has accentuated the differences between Islam and the West. For many, it reinforced the prevalent idea that Islam and the West are diametrically opposed to each other. Sept. 11 has been used as evidence in favor of Samuel Huntington’s controversial “Clash of Civilizations” theory. The burning question then becomes, has there been or will there be a clash?

My answer: yes and no. I sincerely believe that there are forces on both sides that are working day and night to fulfill Huntington’s theory. Similarly, there are forces devoted to bridging what seems to be an irreconcilable gap between Islam and the West. I really hope that those bridging forces are you and me.

Before I proceed, allow me to clarify that I don’t believe in using the terms “Islam” and the “West” to portray large entities as homogenous monolith blocks. The truth is that “Islam” and “West” are loaded terms that do no justice to the diversity that exist within these two entities. I simply use these terms for practicality’s sake in order to identify the main players in preventing or facilitating this clash.

First and foremost, in order to avoid this clash, Muslims need to change. Unfortunately, up until Sept. 11, the Muslim community at large had not opened its doors to the American public. Instead of getting to know, on an intimate level, other members of American society and forming mutually beneficial relationships with them, the Muslim community was and still remains largely absent from America’s social, cultural, economic and political scene.

This, in turn, has crippled the American public’s working knowledge of the Muslim identity. This lack of knowledge, in turn, leads to fear, anxiety, or worse, utter apathy regarding the Muslim population here in the United States. This culminates in the formation of ineffective, false and dehumanizing stereotypes. Such stereotypes seriously derail hope for a healthy and prosperous relationship between the Muslim minority and the rest of American society. Not to downplay strides made in the right direction, but we, as Muslims, need to become more active ingredients in the American milieu.

Similarly, to prevent this clash from becoming a reality, all Americans need to change. We need to start developing a global consciousness, one through which we are intimately aware of what is going on in the world in terms of political, social and cultural phenomena. Due to the technology and the nature of communications, such a global consciousness is essential for the citizens of the world. Such a global consciousness will also give Americans profound insight into our country, its tenets, its underlying principles and how it works.

It will better aid us in understanding our policies vis-a-vis the world and how best to reform this great country, the United States of America. A global consciousness will give Americans a better appreciation for different cultures, mentalities and lifestyles. Indeed, it will foster humility in the way we look at others, thereby truly paving the way for mutual coexistence and understanding between the peoples of the world.

Ultimately these are high aspirations, but they are achievable. But the only way for us to achieve such goals and affect positive change is constantly engaging in a process of reflection and discussion, in times of adversity and prosperity alike. Maybe this was what Thomas Paine was referring to when he spoke of the “thoughtful patriot.”

Ayman Kotob ([email protected]) is a UW senior majoring in business. He is a former president and current member of the Muslim Student Association.