H.E.A.R. Students! Access Now!

Over the past few weeks there have been a number of articles that address the imminent rise in tuition as if students have no options and no control over their ability to access higher education. This could not be further from the truth. We have the responsibility to be pro-active in making sure that Madison remains affordable and our quality of education remains high.

Given the current budget crisis on both the state and federal level it is imperative that students say, loud and clear, “We are willing to take our share of the cuts, but we refuse to let the budget be balanced on our backs.”

Students are in great danger of losing ground on programs and grants that are federally funded and on having a balanced budget in the state come at the cost of affordable and accessible higher education.

The representatives and senators that “represent” us make everyday decisions for students in the halls of Congress. Soon they will be making decisions that could increase access to education for all students or limit it to the few who were smart enough to be born into money. We must make sure our representatives H.E.A.R. Students and increase access.

The Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965 is a federal law establishing the many programs through which the federal government supports higher education. Every five years, Congress reevaluates this piece of legislation through a reauthorization process. This year there will be issues discussed within the reauthorization process dealing with important federal programs like the Pell grant (the largest federal need-based grant), the federal student-loan program, and the early-intervention programs like GEAR UP and TRIO. All these programs are vital to students and their ability to attend college.

Students have a seat at the decision-making table through a partnership between ASM, United Council (our state-wide student association), and the United States Student Association (our national student association).

United Council is working through this year’s statewide campaign to represent students by working on four priorities set at their general assembly. The first priority is to prevent the Board of Regents from gaining full tuition flexibility because it would allow the regents to balance UW System shortfalls by raising tuition as high as they want.

The second priority is to cap tuition increases at 8 percent, allowing students to play our part in balancing the budget shortfalls while simultaneously maintaining our access to the UW System. The third priority is maintaining the base budget, which provides funding for faculty and staff levels, financial aid and Plan 2008. The final priority is to ensure full funding for the link between tuition increases and financial aid won through last year’s statewide campaign.

The United States Student Association is working with college campuses across the nation to make sure that students have a voice on the Federal level. Two major priorities of these organizations are winning an increase in the Pell grant program and maintaining the federal loan program.

USSA would like to see the Pell Grant program fulfill its mission and gain back the buying power of the grant for low- to middle-income students. The grant and loan imbalance has grown tremendously over the last 30 years. This grant used to cover about 70 percent of the cost of education in the 1970s and now is only covering around 30 percent.

Many students around the nation and on the Madison campus use the federal student-loan program. If you receive any type of Stafford loan, you are a part of this program. Students are increasingly taking out more and more debt, leaving them with unmanageable amounts when they graduate.

USSA is asking Congress to eliminate up-front loan fees and create more loan-cancellation policies for students who serve their communities. These are only two of many solutions USSA is advocating that would improve the loan program.

Students need to contact Gov. Doyle and their representatives and senators so they can H.E.A.R. Students! and provide Access Now! The most important thing about statewide campaign and the H.E.A. are the programs for students. We are a major player within the process and our voices will be heard. Our Representatives need to hear from as many students as possible to make our priorities a reality.

There are many ways you can get involved in the statewide campaign and the H.E.A Reauthorization campaign. Come to the Student Council meeting Thursday, Feb. 13 at 6:30 p.m., TITU in the Memorial Union, and voice your support for the two resolutions that officially sign Madison on the to the United Council and USSA campaigns. Volunteer your time to help collect postcards and testimonies.

Stop by the MCSC office in the Red Gym or the ASM office in the Memorial Union and sign postcards that will be sent to your representatives, or write Gov. Doyle and your representative and senator and tell them to support the USSA and United Council priorities. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you make your voice heard.

Jennifer Epps, Carl Camacho, Lilia Williams, Emily McWilliams, and Pabitra Benjamin are board members for the United States Student Association. Eileen Lalor is the Campus Organizer for the Higher Education Act (HEA) Reauthorization Campaign at UW-Madison.