An exotic Valentine’s escape

The Silk Road was an ancient trade route between Asia and Europe from 138 B.C. to the 14th century. During this time, travelers heard of a mystical substance called Kimia. Capable of turning anything into gold, the legend of Kimia captured the hearts and minds of many, guiding explorers and dreamers alike.

The essence of love is similarly inexplicable. Emotions of the heart are powerful and mysterious. Regardless of where you stand in your own quest for love, visitors to Kimia Lounge, located on the Capitol Square at 14 W. Mifflin St., are in for a night of undeniably romantic decadence.

Valentine’s Day is tailor-made for a place like Kimia Lounge. Sold out for over a week, the fortunate few lucky enough to get a reservation tonight will be treated to orchids, glasses of champagne, spectacular martinis, an exotic dinner menu and the sultry jazz sounds of Kelly DeHaven. It will undoubtedly be a memorable evening.

Heartfelt emotion is not limited to one day of the year. The intimate mood at Kimia Lounge is perfect for the other times you want to spoil someone special or just indulge yourself with friends.

Guided by the historical framework of the Silk Road, the ambiance is designed to stimulate the senses. Modeled like a courtyard, the environment inside is a sophisticated expression of living.

Owner Kami Eshraghi has left no detail unnoticed. “I wanted to create an organic space, but one which was very comfortable,” he explains.

Near the entrance are three overstuffed leather couches that provide an unparalleled view of the Capitol. The bar and back bar is sleek and clean, featuring a black granite countertop, wood, and copper. Accentuated by strategically placed lights, the area simply glows.

Further inside are three distinct rooms, each representing the great civilizations of Persia, Rome and China. Varied by colors, flooring, and sculptures, the rooms have three oversized lounging beds for guests to relax. With enough room to stretch your legs out and simply recline, one feels like a pampered guest of honor.

Large pillows are placed along the back of the beds. The surface is covered with rugs of Persian design “and a touch of silkiness,” Eshraghi adds with a smile. Promoting neatness, there are convenient semi-circular pieces of granite in the middle for loungers to rest their drinks without spilling.

In the middle of Kimia Lounge is a stream, recalling the ingenuity of Roman aqueducts. Descending in a downward fashion and framed by artificial stones, the stream offers a pleasant white-noise effect, and also represents the Feng Shui concept of “prosperity flowing outward.”

Along the opposite wall are four semi-circular booths. Based on specifications of a 500 B.C. Persian design, they are simply called “Whisper Domes.” Due to the acoustical properties inside, it is possible to engage in completely private conversation while still exposed to the world outside. If there ever were a place to say “I love you,” this might be it.

For all its style, Kimia Lounge offers a great deal of substance, as evidenced by its remarkable selection of specialty martinis. Mixed by what Eshraghi prefers to call “alchemists” rather than bartenders, these professionals are capable of turning the ordinary into something special. With an emphasis on the finest ingredients and presentation, these martinis push the sensual envelope even further.

Charles Ubaghs, one of Kimia Lounge’s alchemists, believes the Chocolate Martini is the most popular drink. “We really like to play with the chocolate in its presentation,” he explains. Made with Stoli, Godiva liquors, and imported Mont Blanc chocolate, the sweetness simply melts in your mouth.

The Angeltini, a combination of Frangelico and Stoli Vanilla, is another tasty mixture. The Flatliner is pure excitement — made with Grand Marnier, Frangelico, Kahlua, and coffee, and is actually lighted on fire during the presentation. Ubaghs jokingly asks, “Who doesn’t like a little fire?”

The Caspian Blue is made with Stoli Raspberry and a dash of courage. If you get the opportunity to meet Kami Eshraghi at his bar, be sure to ask him the story about the drink’s origin.

On Valentine’s Day, Meine Liebe is sure to be a favorite. The name is German for “My Love,” and the drink is made with White Godiva, Chambord, and Stoli Vanilla. Amazingly, these martinis are well-priced from $7 to $8, roughly the same as other high-end bars around the Capitol Square. Eshraghi explains, “We want to give you a quality experience and give you your money’s worth.”

While Kimia might be over the top for some, it is well suited for those occasions when you want a little class and sophistication. Let your heart lead the way, and you will be in store for a magical adventure.

Bartime will enjoy a few drinks at the Grid Iron this Saturday, Feb. 15. The Grid Iron is located at 1509 Monroe St. Cheers!