Ed Board recommends Union improvements

Even the greatest joys in life could be better, and hanging out at Memorial Union or Union South is no exception. The Wisconsin Union, which recently indicated it wants to move forward on a “master plan” to rejuvenate the establishment, has a stash of cash and is looking to use it on some capital improvements before the state Legislature tries to grab it when the lawmakers go searching for a solution to its budget woes.

Any Union regular can think of ways to improve, and one of the bolder ideas floating around is to create a large sports bar in Union South. Union South has nice facilities and a crowd of regulars from the engineering school, but it lacks the character and perceived “good times” of the centrally located Memorial Union. A busy college sports bar with big-screen TVs, delicious appetizers, and happy-hour drink specials could be enough to draw students from the campus’s east side and revitalize Union South with a little noise and excitement; especially for those stranded without a ticket on game day. Union South’s proximity to Camp Randall allows it to retain some of the game day excitement.

This logical idea would work well with the existing bowling alley, game room and Club 770 venue — there is plenty of room in Union South — and would offer students and alumni a refreshing and relaxing alternative to the State Street scene. Also, utilizing Union South’s area better might relieve some of the bulging spatial concerns currently plaguing Memorial Union.

But even a hopping sports bar cannot change Union South’s uninviting exterior. Its bunker-like façade could be improved with greenery and vines, reminiscent of Wrigley Field’s outfield fences. Vines are a cheap approach to improving the aesthetic pleasantness of the Union’s “dirty south.” Some strategically placed greenery on the concrete flat facing Randall Avenue would also present a more natural appeal.

For the more popular and precious Memorial Union, the first problem most regulars run into are long lines at the Rathskeller’s lone bar. Especially during the first weeks of spring, students and the community flock to an inevitably understaffed and cramped bar, queuing for half an hour to purchase two hands full of tasty beverage. The existing bar’s small size and awkward location are two of the most pressing concerns with the beloved, bucolic retreat.

A larger and more adequately staffed main bar would be a welcome improvement, but more importantly, the Rathskeller needs other, smaller service locations strategically positioned around the outside of the main seating area for particularly busy evenings. We also feel it wouldn’t hurt to bring back the 46-ounce big gulps and roll back to 2001 beer prices. Improvements to the Union are all about access, and changes that facilitate convenience and frequency of service should bring in capital gains.

But what is drink without food? UW has been missing the services of Lakefront Café for far too long. With the Union’s new extended hours, food seems like the perfect compliment to any Union activity. Memorial Union would do well to use its unique location in the heart of the campus to extend food hours to compete with late-night State Street pizza and burrito vendors and build or remodel better facilities.

The Union’s extended hours are a great opportunity to increase programming and drinking alternatives for students, but they could even go further. The university is still in need of a safe place where students can study at any time of the night, and the improvement budget should include plans for just such an all-night study area at Memorial Union.

Any remodeling should include a plan to restructure the Union’s electrical wiring, heating and cooling ducts and communications network, all of which are vastly outdated in the Union’s 75-year-old architecture. An energy-efficiency revamp would save the university tens of thousands of dollars, and better communication portals or wireless Internet would bring the facility up to par with other campus buildings, such as Helen C. White across the street.

Finally, with so many ideas and opportunities for improvement, one thing should be left alone. This is, of course, the Union Terrace, world-renowned and enjoyed by all. Beyond increasing food and drink opportunities, it would be impossible to improve on such a lakefront gem.