It’s time for action, not talking, regarding Iraq

Nothing can beat a good, healthy debate; but, talk too long about what could happen, what should happen and what the consequences of those actions are, and the opportunity to take action will pass by.

We risk this happening now with the debate on Iraq. After months of leaks about attack strategies, disagreement within the White House and questions of Bush’s power in all of this, we are finally having a serious debate about what to do about Saddam Hussein.

Last week Bush put it all on the line with a powerful speech to the United Nations that convinced many that time was of the essence in getting rid of Hussein. Congress and the United Nations in return need to act fast to give Bush the backing he needs to finally remove Hussein from power. Many lawmakers, including Sen. Hillary Clinton, have said Congress will give Bush approval. After all, when it comes to whether or not we need to get Hussein out of there, how much is there to debate about?

As Bush outlined in his speech last week, Hussein has repeatedly violated 16 U.N. resolutions over the past 10 years, with many of those resolutions condemning Hussein for violating previous resolutions. And, despite the fact Hussein agreed Monday to let inspectors in, history shows he has often let inspectors in but then has denied them access.

What evidence is there that he will give inspectors full access this time? Little. A weapons inspector said in a Sunday New York Times story that even if inspectors were allowed in, there are mobile laboratories Hussein could have that inspectors would be unable to detect. In addition, chief weapons inspector Hans Blix told the Associated Press it would take inspectors several months to get set up on the ground in order to start monitoring Iraqi sites. Hussein is merely trying to buy more time to continue stockpiling his weapons of mass destruction.

Recently, officials released evidence that Hussein is gathering materials to make an atomic bomb. Experts say he could have one functional within months if he could obtain fissile material. Iraq has continuously withheld documentation on its nuclear weapons program, and Iraq still holds the know-how and infrastructure needed to build nuclear weapons.

In addition, we know he has and continues to develop chemical weapons. There are gaps identified by U.N. weapons inspectors between Iraq’s accounting and production capabilities that suggest he maintains massive supplies of chemical agents. Hussein continues to build plants that can serve dual purposes and could easily become manufactures of chemical weapons.

On top of nuclear and chemical weapons, he is also stockpiling ballistic missiles — developing missiles with a range longer than 150 kilometers (a direct violation of U.N. resolution 687 that, when passed in 1991, on top of many other things, required Hussein to “unconditionally accept” the destruction of all chemical and biological weapons, “unconditionally agree not to acquire or develop nuclear weapons” and “unconditionally agree to the removal or rendering harmless of all ballistic missiles with a range greater than 150 km”).

Hussein is not only increasing his supply of weapons of mass destruction, but he has also repeatedly repressed his own people — refusing human rights monitors; using extreme violence towards women, including rape, execution and blackmail; using extreme torture, such as branding and tongue amputation towards detainees and people critical of Hussein and his government; executing and repressing those who speak out against Hussein; training young children ages 10 to 15 in 14 hour-a-day training camps to teach them courses in weapons use and infantry tactics; cutting food rations for his people; not permitting free speech — need I go on?

But there is more. Evidence also exists that Iraq harbors terrorist organizations such as al Qaeda who have repeatedly attacked the United States. Hussein even awards the families of Palestinian suicide bombers with $25,000.

How much is there to debate about? We cannot keep talking about how evil a man Hussein is and stand by idly talking as he builds up his own weapons, which he is not afraid to use. Hussein does not listen to reason — his past behavior proves his irrational psyche. Who is to say that he won’t strike us first?

Hussein has violated the 16 U.N. resolutions that, among other things, required him to allow inspectors in, allow the destruction of his weapons of mass destruction, stop the repression of his own people and not harbor terrorist organizations. Six times the United Nations has condemned Hussein for violating resolutions — we cannot just pass another resolution this time and hope that maybe he’ll come around. Despite Hussein’s comments Monday the U.N. must still pass a resolution that sets strict deadlines and is backed up with force. Hussein is not going to give inspectors full access ? he has made this move in the past only to deny inspectors once they got in the country. The longer we sit and talk about this, the longer he has to get more weapons. We cannot let that happen.

Bush has gone through the appropriate steps to attack. He has agreed to ask for Congressional approval — he has the backing of key lawmakers and politicos such as Sen. Joe Liberman (D-Conn.), Senate Minority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.) and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and most say the question is not if, but when, Congress will give approval. Bush has also spoken to allies and the United Nations, bringing the United States case to the world stage — he has gained the support of Britain, Italy and other key allies. Now Congress and the United Nations need to, as Bush said Saturday, “show some backbone” and give the United States the support it needs to deal with Hussein once and for all.

Katie Harbath ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.