UW should take remembrance a step further

As the first anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks approaches, many cities, schools and organizations throughout the United States are planning events to remember those who died, honor those who risked their lives to save others and celebrate those freedoms we took for granted which are now threatened.

Thick with patriotic overtones, these events are sure to be the perfect mixture of remembering what it is to be American in addition to encouraging peace and understanding and analyzing the war on terrorism.

Not in Madison, however. Looking at the events planned by both the city of Madison and the University of Wisconsin, it is easy to tell they were programmed to avoid any hint of “patriotic overtone.” Moments of silence to coincide with the national moment of silence President Bush is asking for are scheduled. UW is also planning a commemoration program the morning of Sept. 11 featuring Chancellor Wiley, student government chair Bryan Gadow and musical performances. The city is also planning a lunch-hour ceremony on the steps of the Capitol where patriotic music will be played in conjunction with a tree-planting ceremony.

But it is what Madison is not doing that is most upsetting.

Events planned across the country are extensive. ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX have all scheduled special programming; most every city and town has its own events planned, and some people are even worried too many events are being planned. It will be a time for Americans not only to remember those killed but to also rally behind the flag and remember just how great it is to be an American. The only patriotic event the university is planning is the distribution of a pamphlet to campus libraries that includes copies of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

UW, instead of trying to avoid the fact that we are Americans, should remember what being an American is all about. It’s about celebrating our differences while uniting under one flag. UW and the city should instead take note of events planned by St. Paul and the University of Michigan to commemorate Sept. 11.

St. Paul is planning eight days of events that include a service for peace and remembrance, a display of children’s art work that examines Sept. 11 and the children’s views of freedom and democracy, a get-out-the-vote campaign, a tribute to America’s fallen heroes, a tribute to military personnel, an adopt-a-fire-station project, the flying of American flags throughout the city, patriotic musical celebrations and a salute to volunteerism.

The University of Michigan, on top of having academic symposiums similar to those at UW, is also hosting a candlelight vigil and a plaque dedication to remember alumni who died in the attacks.

UW needs to end its fear of being patriotic and instead give the men, women and children who died in the attacks the remembrance and honor they deserve. American flags should be proudly hung throughout the campus, patriotic songs should be played and students should be given multiple opportunities to commemorate the first anniversary in the way they feel most comfortable.

In order to help do this, UW should also cancel classes. Students should not have to miss any events due to class. They should be given the opportunity to take the day to reflect and remember.

Sept. 11 needs to be about celebrating the freedoms granted us as Americans while remembering those who died. These freedoms include the right to say what we want, question the government’s actions and be different.

Both UW and Madison, in practically avoiding patriotism all together with their Sept. 11 events, miss a crucial part of what commemorating Sept. 11 should be about.

Katie Harbath ([email protected] ) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.