Making you think

In recent days, we have been asked why we chose to print the ravings of alleged pipe bomber Lucas Helding. Are we not rewarding him for his rampage?

We say no. Ideas are not dangerous, no matter their content. Students are not going to read what Helding wrote and follow his example. Far more likely is they will pity his misguided attempt at personal fulfillment and vow to never do what he did.

This is a microcosm of what this year?s editorial board has stood for. People are free, and people are fully capable of making their own decisions.

Consider our major issues. We believe students are capable of evaluating and distinguishing between ideas; a truly educated student body is one that is able to think critically and answer ideas that counter what it believes.

Students are also capable of spending their own money. If a student wants to spend money to go on a Model U.N. trip (or any other student-group function), he should be free to do so. But if that student does not, he should not be compelled to support those who do. Mandatory seg fees are a violation of this principle and should be abolished.

Students are also responsible for their behavior. High-risk drinking is a problem of attitude ? regulation will only move the problem, not fix it. Having students choose to not binge-drink is far more effective than making it more expensive.

These are but a few examples of what the Herald has always stood for; we are a skeptical challenge to the status quo. From 1969 on, we have pursued a policy based on freedom and personal determination. We may be controversial, we may be disliked, but we will always make you think ? and, frankly, that is what college is all about.