Progressives need to work together

Last Friday’s Badger Herald contained a guest column by a UW student criticizing Congressman Tom Barrett as not being “progressive”enough and perhaps not the best choice for Governor. I am writing to first, set the record straight and second, to urge all progressives to think of the big picture ? defeating temporary Governor Scott McCallum.

The writer has the best of intentions in voicing her opinion that we need a good progressive to be the next Governor of Wisconsin, and I couldn’t agree more. Four more years of Scott McCallum would be a disaster for the UW System, the economy and in general, for Wisconsin.

But I disagree with her limited review of Tom Barrett’s record in Congress. First, Tom Barrett has a 100 percent voting record with NARAL this past year and 91 percent with Planned Parenthood, the closest in our delegation to Congressperson Tammy Baldwin.

Not only does he support a women’s right to choose, but more importantly, he is the only candidate so far to publicly state his support for legislation introduced by State Senator Fred Risser and myself to make hospitals provide emergency contraceptives to rape survivors in emergency rooms. Barrett knows that of the 300,000 women who are raped each year, roughly 32,000 of those will result in an unwanted pregnancy, and half of those will result in abortion. Barrett stood alone in holding a press conference to show his support for this quality health care measure (though for the record, State Senator Gary George, another gubernatorial candidate, voted for the measure in the State Senate this year).

To pull one vote out of thousands cast from six years ago not only doesn’t represent Barrett’s real record, but is reckless in assessing support or opposition for any candidacy.

Second, the writer asserted that Barrett may not be pro-LGBTQ enough to be governor. As the first openly gay man elected to the state assembly, let me say that we are fortunate to have the most gay-friendly crop of candidates for governor in the Democratic primary ever, and that is a very positive step.

My support for Tom Barrett comes from my lengthy conversations about his positive views on the LGBTQ issues, his ability to deliver on those issues that matter to the community and his support from the LGBTQ community leaders who know him best in his home town of Milwaukee.

Again, the writer pulled two votes from half-a-dozen years ago that have been explained in full by Barrett, and the Human Rights Campaign (the LGBTQ federal watchdog) gives him a 100% ranking for the current Congressional session. Further, understand that I fully believe that I am backing the candidate that can best deliver on further equality for the LGBTQ community.

We have specific strategies to advance civil rights for all people, and I am convinced that Tom Barrett is best equipped to deliver on those issues, making equality not just a nice sound bite, but a reality.

But most importantly I want to stress that Tom Barrett has a congressional record that closely mirrors my favorite member of Congress, Tammy Baldwin. They have walked arm-in-arm on issues affecting labor and the environment, women’s and student’s issues, LGBTQ and racial issues, and more. I would hate for anyone to distort her record by misconstruing a single vote that she has taken.

Finally, I hope that all progressives, regardless of whom they support, keep one thing in mind. The bulls-eye is on Scott McCallum. He is anti-labor and bad for the environment. He is anti-choice and cuts funds to the UW. He is bad on LGBTQ issues and supports status quo legislation that does not advance racial equality. Any of the other candidates for Governor ? on the Democratic side, Jim Doyle, Kathleen Falk, Gary George or Tom Barrett, or the Green Party nominee Jim Young ? would be far superior to McCallum. If we line up in a firing squad in a circle and aim at each other, we will have four more years of conservative and inept leadership.

I commend anyone who works in the democratic process and supports a candidate for governor. Support your candidate with pride and in a positive manner. Let the merits and qualifications of the candidates speak for your support. And then, after the primary is over, we will be able to fight united and vigorously to defeat McCallum. Trust me, that is the bottom line. And only then will we win in November.

Mark Pocan is a Democrat representing Wisconsin’s 78th district