Lot (of) advice

All is not lost, at least when it comes to students being at a loss for where to park.

Last week we blasted both ASM and the UW-Madison administration for their seeming apathy about student safety. In the process of formulating a new parking plan, the UW transportation committee made parking near libraries and other student resources less accessible (no small task), all but encouraging unsafe late-night walks. ASM deserved part of the blame for dropping their SAFEPark campaign because of a supposed lack of time.

Fortunately the transportation committee has demonstrated it is concerned about the viewpoints of students. The transportation services policy subcommittee will review the new lot enforcement proposal tomorrow, and “Reviewing . . . ‘After Hour Permits & Lot Enforcement Times'” is on the agenda. In order to improve campus safety, the subcommittee should make the following lots open after 5 p.m., when classes are over and most staff has left:

— Parking lots near libraries and computer labs, including Computer Science (lots 15 and 22), Grainger (lot 7), Helen C. White (lot 6), Law (lot 7), Memorial (lots 1 and 3), Middleton (lot 20), Steenbock (lot 36), and Wendt (lot 17)

— Parking lots near athletic facilities, including the Natatorium (lot 62), Nielsen Tennis Stadium (lot 66), SERF (lot 91), Shell (lot 18) and McClimon Memorial Track (lot 60)

— Parking lots near centers of student activity, including Memorial Union (lot 1), Union South (lots 15 and 22), and University Square Theaters (lot 47)
As we have editorialized in the past, it is much safer for students to drive, rather than walk, to late-night destinations. We understand the worry about drunk driving and would not be opposed to tightening restrictions on some of the more eastern lots on Friday and Saturday nights. However, any such action should be countered by a loosening of parking lots near dorms (including lots 32, 34, 51, and 91) that would enable more students to pursue alternative entertainment to downtown bars.
We are pleased the administration is showing a willingness to listen to students, and we encourage ASM to take advantage of this opportunity and join us in lobbying for a safer campus for everyone.