Easy advice

Lucky readers of The Badger Herald will today receive a special edition of SSFC advice.

Having fallen behind due to cancelled meetings and three-hour long presentations, SSFC is holding a special meeting this Sunday where it will vote on the budgets of the Rape Crisis Center, Polygon Student Engineering Council, and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Campus Center. By and large these are responsible budget requests, making this special edition even more special for students.

RCC is requesting $35,200 — a $920 increase in funding of $920 to $35,200. This increase nearly matches the rate of inflation and is a more-than-reasonable contribution to this essential campus service.

Polygon’s budget request is even better. Polygon is actually requesting a 2.4 percent decrease in their budget. We’re tempted to rubber stamp their budget for that fact alone. In fact, we will. The well-prepared and informed presentation sealed the deal.

LGBTCC’s budget is not too bad either, but we would make some small corrections. SSFC should limit salary increases, keeping them in line with other student groups. A new computer can be put off for a year, considering LGBTCC received money for two new computers just five months ago. And we would prefer increased programming requests go through the ASM finance committee.

We wish more groups would be as responsible as these three. But they aren’t, and students are literally paying the price.