Letter from the Editor: Horowitz not recognizing cost of speech

On Sept. 28, I labeled David Horowitz “the nation’s foremost media whore.”

Yesterday, he lived up to his title.

In yesterday’s Daily Cardinal, Horowitz littered the UW campus with about 10,000 copies of a 22-page pamphlet entitled “Think twice … before you bring the war home.” In the past, when other campus media reject him, Horowitz has exploited The Badger Herald’s commitment to free speech to deliver his message. Now, according to his website, he is passing on the Herald because of our Sept. 28 editorial explanation that discussed his love for the spotlight.

Horowitz’s most recent actions smack of self-promotion over principle. He is taking his business to the student newspaper that explicitly denied his rights to speak last spring.

It’s worth noting that while both Horowitz and his dissenters are welcome to advertise and editorialize in the Herald, his business will not be missed. As of today, we still have not received payment for the Sept. 28 advertisement.

Although Horowitz may not appreciate or support the Herald’s attempts to follow up his advertisements with constructive campus debate, we are not deterred. Elsewhere in today’s Opinion section, our Tuesday columnist Benjamin Thompson offers a critique of Horowitz’s latest propaganda. In the coming days, we hope to publish letters both supporting and criticizing Horowitz’s ideas and actions.

Last March, Horowitz enjoyed the talk-show circuit as student editors around the nation fought to defend their First Amendment rights in the face of protests and threats. The experience strengthened editors’ First Amendment resolve.

Now, as he looks to make a second tour, the editors’ skins are a little tougher. Apparently, his is not.

Sincerely,

Alexander Conant

Editor-in-Chief