Administration shows where its priorities lie

It has been nearly a week since the administration’s misplaced priorities became painfully evident.

Last Tuesday, as students woke to the horrific images of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, the administration’s priority was that class schedules not be disturbed.

After we pointed out that students should have been the first concern, the university did not apologize as we suggested, but instead contrived a tall tale about how their actions were done for the benefit of the students.

We noted that these painfully obvious public-relations moves were insult added to injury, and it finally seemed the administration got the message. Friday afternoon classes were cancelled and a time to “reflect and remember” was planned.

Unfortunately, the activities of some professors and TAs suggest that Friday’s activities were yet another smoke screen meant to deflect criticism of the administration.

It is absolutely disgusting that many of us are being penalized for spending Tuesday the way we should have — watching the tragic events unfold, comforting friends and quietly reflecting — instead of going to class as dictated by the administration.

Of course, ordering professors to not penalize students would implicitly admit that last Tuesday’s decision to not cancel classes was the wrong one. This fact makes it even more important that the administration do just that.

Not only would an order from Chancellor Wiley that no student be penalized for missing class Tuesday be the right thing to do, it would also show that the administration realizes that students are their number one priority and that Tuesday’s actions did not reflect that priority.

Conversely, a failure to credit students for mourning one of the most tragic days in our history and saying good-bye to their loved ones in their own way would confirm our growing suspicions that the administration is more concerned with its public image than it is about its students.