Can the United States unite?

On Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, the United States experienced the most devastating attack on its sovereignty in the history of the world. In pure statistical measures, this attack makes Pearl Harbor seem insignificant. The economic and military prowess of this country suffered terrible losses, not to mention the thousands of lives lost in the debris of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Our leaders have pledged retribution for these acts of horror, yet one interesting question remains: Will the United States, for the first time in its 220-year-plus history, actually unite as a nation?”

A nation is more than a mere collection of authoritative bodies and courtrooms. Rather, a nation is a group that claims the political right to self-determination. Usually, this group is an ethnic group, but in the case of the United States, this ethnic definition must be amended. Already, threats of violence against United States citizens of Middle-Eastern origin have occurred. Muslim and Islamic groups have shut down websites because of the massive amounts of hate mail directed at members of their groups.

The United States has a history of discrimination against her own citizens when those citizens belong to the same ethnic group attacking the United States. Remember how the United States interned Japanese-American citizens after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

I implore the citizens of this country not to hate certain ethnically-affiliated groups now, for if we do so, we are no different than the terrorists who killed thousands of Americans. The strongest and most devote message that can be sent to these terrorist groups is one of unity; a united nation of America is more powerful than any statement of military force. The United States, for the first time in its history, must unite people of every race, ethnicity, religion, and gender to form one united nation; in effect, we must respond not as a great military power, but as a united nation. So back to the question, “Will the United States, for the first time in its 220-year-plus history, actually unite as a nation?” I hope a resounding “yes” is the answer.