UW is right where it should be — At the eye of the stem-cell storm

R. Timothy Mulcahy
Associate Dean, Graduate School
Professor of Pharmacology

As the summer winds to a close and everyone prepares for the start of a new semester, the university finds itself at the eye of a national storm swirling around the issue of embryonic stem cells. UW-Madison was destined to be ground zero for the impending storm since 1998, when UW faculty member Dr. James Thomson made the scientific breakthrough that enabled the isolation of these valuable cells. This was assisted by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF), who patented this technology on the university’s behalf.

Embryonic stem cells are master building blocks isolated from the inner region of embryos donated for research purposes, following successful in-vitro fertilization therapy for infertile couples. Donors of the embryos consent to their use for stem-cell derivation, choosing this option for the unused embryos produced for them in the in-vitro fertilization clinic. The overwhelming majority of unused embryos are otherwise discarded.

Embryonic stem cells are able to grow indefinitely in the laboratory and can be coaxed to differentiate into virtually any cell type in the human body. Therefore, supporters of stem-cell research tout them as potential cures for many devastating medical conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzhiemer’s disease, spinal-cord injury, diabetes and heart disease. Opponents argue for a ban on embryonic stem-cell research on the grounds that derivation of the cells will result in the destruction of the embryo. However, such a ban would not alter the fate of a single embryo remaining as a result of in-vitro fertilization.

Despite the strong opposition of some, the university fully supports stem-cell research, recognizing an ethical obligation to pursue potential cures for millions of people.

Late this summer, the already-stormy stem-cell debate achieved tempest force, when economic and political pressures combined with scientific interests, ethical debates and religious convictions. After a vigorous national debate, President Bush announced August 9 that he would authorize the use of federal research dollars to support research on stem-cell lines, but only those in existence at the time of his decision. Since WARF holds patents on five of the existing 60 lines, as well as to the technique likely used to generate many of the remainder, UW’s stake in the debate intensified. Critics argue that the university is in a position to control stem-cell research and to profit unfairly from its patent position.

The truth is that WARF and the university are committed to open access to the cells for research purposes and have taken deliberate measures to facilitate the development of therapeutic applications by investigators worldwide. Furthermore, there is nothing unique or unusual about patent and licensing issues associated with embryonic stem-cell technology. All major research universities protect intellectual property generated by their faculty in similar ways. Should these patents generate royalties, they would be applied to the support of additional university research, as has been UW’s tradition spanning the entire 75-year history of WARF.

Some critics question the university’s role in the stem-cell maelstrom, arguing that it should not participate in, let alone initiate, such controversial or sensitive topics. In fact, some state legislators have gone so far as to introduce legislation to make it illegal for university investigators to conduct stem-cell research in the state of Wisconsin. If efforts at legislative control of stem-cell research should succeed, not only would it postpone realization of the promise of stem-cell therapies, but it would strike a blow against academic freedom, the most fundamental core principle of university life.

UW and its peer institutions have an important responsibility to participate in the generation of new knowledge, regardless of how controversial. In fact, the university provides a unique environment for such research. Its faculty includes experts in virtually every facet – scientific, social, legal or ethical – of complex research issues. The availability of this expertise, combined with the open nature of university research, insures informed discussion of all aspects of sensitive or controversial issues and ultimately culminates in informed decision making.

Why should this issue be important to students?

The university’s mission is to educate our students, to advance our knowledge base through research and to translate our research to applications that benefit humankind. To be the best at the former we need to excel at the latter. Consequently, it is safe to forecast that the university will inevitably be at the eye of many a raging storm. At times, all of us will be called upon to defend our academic principles against serious storm damage, whether related to embryonic stem-cell research or other research controversies.

As students of this great university, you should demand nothing less of us.