UW-Stevens Point chancellor denies being drunk during car accident

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Chancellor Linda Bunnell admitted Wednesday to having a couple of drinks at a dinner party the night she was involved in a car accident that occurred in February.

The chancellor hit a parked vehicle and left the scene without reporting the accident. The UW System, however, said the chancellor turned in all paper work and alcohol had not been an issue.

According to UW-Stevens Point spokesperson Stephen Ward, the chancellor had a drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner, which she said she did not finish.

“The issue related to the incident was resolved two months ago and alcohol was not a factor,” Ward said.

According to UW System spokesperson David Giroux, the system has already looked into the matter.

“In fact, we first looked into this matter when Chancellor Bunnell first brought the traffic accident to our attention,” Giroux said. “She provided all the relevant paperwork to our office, including a copy of the Madison Police Report, the traffic citation and a cover letter from MPD.”

Giroux added the police report issued after the car accident said neither alcohol nor drugs were present, making no mention of any violation other than leaving the scene.

According to Ward, Bunnell addressed this issue among others at a faculty staff meeting Monday, during the period of time where the chancellor usually comments on university issues.

Ward said faculty and staff were pleased to see the chancellor address issues pertaining to herself, many of which were discussed during routine lunches with faculty members the chancellor attends several times a month.

According to Ward, while several state lawmakers questioned the chancellor about the accident at Monday’s meeting, they also expressed concern about the Stevens Point Student Council that voted “no confidence” in Bunnell several weeks ago.

“The student senate and student government meetings have put out some pretty risky statements about the chancellor,” Ward said. “Some said they were potentially libel statements.”

Ward added the faculty and staff were very receptive of the chancellor’s speech.

“She wanted to address specific concerns brought up by students or faculty members and there certainly was room to look forward to working more effectively with the university,” Ward said. “[The chancellor’s presentation] was constructively received and after the faculty senate meeting there is certainly a wish to get whatever issues there may be resolved.”