Missing UWSP student’s body recovered

The Stevens Point Police Department confirmed Monday evening a University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point student’s death was likely caused by an accidental drowning after his disappearance early Saturday morning.

Stevens Point assistant police chief Brian Kudronowicz said 21-year-old Eric Duffey was found dead in the Wisconsin River yesterday afternoon after a night out for his birthday at a downtown bar.

According to Kudronowicz, police officers and water crews began searching the river after tracking dogs followed Duffey’s path to the river and a tipper called saying he heard cries for help there Saturday morning.

A coroner later positively identified the body as Duffey.

Kudronowicz said approximately 150 volunteers, including community residents and UWSP students and staff, participated in the search party around Stevens Point in the effort to find Duffey.

“We appreciate all the assistance from everyone involved in assisting the Stevens Point Police Department in locating Eric Duffey. His parents are very appreciative,” Kudronowicz said. “That really helped us get this tragic situation to a conclusion.”

Kudronowicz added the UWSP chancellor participated in the search party, while the police department drew on assistance from the Sheriff’s Department, Fire Department and Air Patrol to try to locate Duffey.

As of Monday evening, Kudronowicz said they are scheduling an autopsy and waiting on a toxicology report to determine the exact cause of Duffey’s death and whether alcohol played a role.

Kudronowicz said Duffey’s death seems to be the result of an accidental drowning, but added he believes alcohol was involved.