Students able to check credit score for free through Credit Union

Students who are looking for a way to check their credit scores without being hit with hidden fees and charges now have a safe way of looking up the important financial information.

The UW Credit Union began offering their members a free way to check their credit scores in early September when they launched the My Credit Score web portal.

The online service has been very popular and even exceeded the bank’s expectations, UW Credit Union spokesperson Lisa Girdharry said.

“It’s been one of our best services that we have launched and has been adopted by our members … it has been a great success for us,” Girdharry said.

Approximately 14,000 members of the bank have signed up for the service and more than 29,000 people have accessed the My Credit Score website, according to a statement from the bank.

Girdharry said the web portal is a great resource for students because it allows students to check their credit scores without going through a company where it is temporarily free but then they end up charging you later.

UW senior Alex Pruzinsky has had firsthand experience with being charged by a credit report website claiming to offer free credit reports.

Pruzinsky said he looked around online to try and find a reputable site to use and ended up going with CreditReport.com. Pruzinsky said the site claimed to be free but they ended up charging him.

“Yesterday I was checking my bank statement, and I saw I had a charge for $14.95 from creditreport.com,” Pruzinsky said.

Pruzinsky said he looked back on the company’s website but could not find a phone number to call. However, after searching around online he found many other people who were being charged.

He said the company offers a free trial to view your score, but if you do not cancel your account they begin to charge you a monthly fee, however this is hidden in the fine print of the contract.

Pruzinsky added after having an unpleasant conversation with a disgruntled employee he got the service charge canceled.

Girdharry encouraged students to make sure they check their credit scores.

“It’s really important because as you’re starting your life, lenders, insurance companies, landlords and employees all look at credit scores,” Girdharry said.