European terror warning: Students should stay alert

College students who are studying in Europe may have to be more cautious after information on a possible terrorist attack caused the U.S. State Department to issue a travel alert for the whole continent.

The State Department issued a travel alert for Europe to U.S citizens Sunday after information suggested a possible al-Qaida terrorist attack is being planned for somewhere on the continent.

According to a statement from the State Department, European governments have taken action to prevent a possible terrorist attack and have spoken about the heightened security level.

“U.S. citizens are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure,”the statement said. “Terrorists have targeted and attacked subway and rail systems, as well as aviation and maritime services.”

Brian Whalen, chief executive of the Forum on Education Abroad, said in an email to The Badger Herald they field travel alerts and warnings on a fairly regular basis for places across the world, however travel alerts for all of Europe were rare.

The Forum on Education Abroad is an organization which has over 450 universities who represent more than 90 percent of U.S students who study abroad.

University of Wisconsin-Stout junior Brittney Hektner, who is currently abroad in Rome, said with all of the warnings that happen in America she is not too concerned with the latest one.

Hektner said she was actually traveling back from Oktoberfest in Munich when the alert was released, and doesn’t plan on making any changes to her plans, even after the alert was issued.

“I might as well enjoy it while I’m here, since I won’t be here for much longer,” Hektner said.

While Hetkner might not be worried about the alert, her mother sure is, wanting her to call every night instead of once a week.

There are currently 179 University of Wisconsin students studying in Europe, according to UW spokesperson John Lucas.

Lucas said UW alerted students to the threat by sending out emails to both the students and the site coordinators in the different areas where they are studying.

In the emails the university encouraged students to heed the advice from the state department, Lucas said.

Hektner said the U.S Embassy alerted her of the State Department’s warning.

“Students and parents in the current world climate are accustomed to this kind of warning,” Lucas said.

Whalen said the best thing students can do is use the alert as chance to review their safety plans.

“What I think is important in light of the travel alert is for students and education abroad program sponsors to review health, safety and security plans,” Whalen said.