Leg Affairs’ Yahara station meeting today

LegAffairs_MM
Legislative Affairs Chair Adam Johnson (second from right) and other members are planning a debate for gubernatorial candidates on campus this fall.[/media-credit]

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee polished plans Monday for today’s presentation on a proposed Yahara station along the high-speed passenger rail as well as future plans for a gubernatorial debate to take place on campus in October.

LAC Chair Adam Johnson urged committee members and students to attend the committee’s Yahara station meeting today at 4 p.m. in room 3650 Humanities where station developer Barry Gore will present facts on why he believes the Yahara location is better than current plans that call for a station at the airport.

“The Yahara Station makes more sense in the city’s economic plan,” Johnson said, adding the location is centrally located and convenient because of the 18 bus routes that would go by the station, while only two go to the airport.

However, supporters of the airport location argue there would be more parking spaces available at the airport, which also makes other means of transport more reachable.

Vice Chair Sam Polstein said University of Wisconsin students are in a unique position to have an opportunity to shape the outcome of the station’s location.

“It is important to get informed about the two options and to get passionate about one or the other,” Polstein said.

Johnson said while the decision is in the hands of the Department of Transportation, ASM is trying to engage students in an effort to lobby the department and persuade their decision.

The committee also discussed plans for a debate between the candidates for governor to take place on campus in October.

In an effort to make the debate accessible to all students and Wisconsin residents, ASM plans to focus on “new media” by implementing streamable online footage of the debate, live blogging and analysis and other social networking media.

“Gubernatorial elections tend to fly under the radar, but they are incredibly important,” Johnson said, “This is an issue that affects all of Wisconsin, not just Madison.”

According to Johnson, an on-campus debate would force candidates to discuss issues that affect students.

Topics of discussion would include the future of Wisconsin’s higher education, the UW System’s funding and tuition costs, and how to increase the availability of jobs for graduates.

Vice Chair Kyle Woolwich said the next step is getting the candidates to commit to the debate.

“Once we get the Republican candidates, the Democratic party will follow,” Woolwich said.

Whether the plans are carried out after the primary elections in the fall will depend on the next session of Student Council, Johnson said.

Also discussed at last night’s meeting was leasing legislation that would push back when landlords can begin showing properties and leasing them to students.

Polstein said property managers oppose a proposed ordinance banning landlords from showing properties to students before Feb. 15 because of the Feb. 1 deadline to hand in applications for residence hall housing. Property managers argue students should be allowed to see the housing market before making a decision on living in the residence halls.

The next Housing Committee Meeting will be May 5. ASM is looking for students to share their personal housing and leasing experiences at the meeting.