Walker: State cannot raise public school budget

While initial reactions to the state Department of Public Instruction’s budget proposal to increase state funding to public schools appeared positive, critics are beginning to surface, including Gov.-elect Scott Walker.

The DPI announced plans Monday to revamp the formula that determines state funding for public schools, including increasing the funding nearly every school district in the state receives from the state.

While Walker may approve of state Superintendent Tony Evers focusing on improving education, he wants the DPI and other departments to find more creative solutions, Walker spokesperson Cullen Werwie said in an e-mail.

Evers’ plan would reallocate $900 million from tax credits to school funding, but also require a 2 percent increase in the overall DPI budget to secure $4,000 of state funding per public school student.

“Superintendent Evers should be applauded for recognizing the need for real funding reform in our K-12 education system,” Werwie said. “As the state faces a $2.7 billion budget deficit, however, true funding reform means focusing on how to better spend the dollars we have today.”

Walker is planning to work with Evers and education leaders on “innovative solutions” to the state deficit, according to Werwie.

Some state Republican legislators may also have their doubts on the DPI budget.

For Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, the main problem is where the apparent majority of the proposed increased funding is heading; namely, Madison.

Grothman said while most other districts will receive a funding increase of around 6 percent, under the budget proposal Madison schools would get 28 percent more funding.

“Tony Evers comes up with his plan that in essence the rest of the state has to give more money to Madison, which seems a little ridiculous,” Grothman said.

Despite these criticisms, Evers remains confident of the reception of the budget plan in the next legislative session, which does not begin until Jan. 3.

Evers called the response to the budget so far “overwhelmingly positive” in a statement.

The DPI budget proposal still needs to be approved by the new Republican majority in the state Legislature before it goes into effect.