Assembly censures Wood for charges

The Assembly failed to pass a resolution to expel Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, for his multiple Operating While Intoxicated charges Wednesday morning, opting instead to issue a censure.

A censure acts as a stern warning but will not prevent Wood from holding his seat in the Assembly or being paid during his time in jail. Wood is scheduled to begin his 45 day jail sentence Monday with work release privileges after pleading guilty to a charge of OWI.

After an Assembly all-nighter spent looking at dozens of bills until 7:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, the resolution to expel Wood was tabled by a thin margin of 49-48, with the Assembly voting instead to censure with a vote of 73-24.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, who has lead the charge for expelling Wood, argued Wood should be expelled because his actions were dangerous to the public.

“He admitted his conduct was dangerous and that he placed the lives of innocent people at risk,” Nass said during debate. “The citizens who put us into office must constantly control their actions or face the consequences. I believe that members of the Legislature are capable of living up to the same real-world standards of conduct expected by those who elect us.”

Nass added that with five prior arrests — including three OWI convictions — Wood’s actions show a history of dangerous behavior for which he should be expelled from the Assembly.

On top of the OWI convictions, Wood has two other cases pending in Marathon and Monroe counties for driving under the influence of prescription drugs.

Meanwhile, Rep. Mary Hubler, D-Rice Lake, argued the Assembly should only be looking at Wood’s recent jail sentencing, pointing out Wood has said he will contest the other two charges.

“Those charges may be dropped, they may be reduced. He may be found innocent. The bottom line is that he’s got one drunken driving conviction since he was elected to this house eight years ago. In my book, that doesn’t rise to the level of expulsion,” Hubler said.

Hubler argued since Wood’s district chose not to recall him in January, the Assembly has no right to expel him now.

Several representatives took the position that Wood should be dealt with more compassionately, with Rep. Marlin Schneider, D-Wisconsin Rapids, going so far as to read several passages from the Bible promoting forgiveness.

“We should be saying, ‘[Rep. Wood], go and sin no more,'” Schneider said.

Still, Rep. Mark Gundrum, R-New Berlin, held that the issue at hand was public safety.

“It’s not that I think [Wood] is a bad person. The reason I thought expulsion was the right answer was really about public safety and the nature of this job. We have a job that requires that you drive a lot,” Gundrum said, adding that two of the three OWI offenses occurred while Wood was on his way back from Madison.

Wood’s conviction on Monday was for a December 2008 incident where Wood crashed into a sign on the highway and urinated on the side of the road. The conviction on Monday was his third drunken driving offense. He previous drunken driving convictions were in 1991 and 1992.

Wood’s office could not be reached for comment.

This article originally incorrectly stated Wood had been arrested nine times. It has been corrected to say he has been arrested five times. We regret the error.