Assembly Committee holds public hearing for FoodShare, drug testing bills

FoodShare bill would eliminate shellfish from food stamp purchases
Sarah Zimmermann

The state Assembly’s Committee on Public Benefit Reform held a public hearing on a bill which would restrict FoodShare purchases Thursday in addition to two proposals which would require drug testing to receive unemployment insurance or participate in jobs programs.

The FoodShare bill, introduced by Rep. Robert Brooks, R-Saukville, says people would be unable to use their food stamps to purchase shellfish, including lobster, crab or shrimp.

Brooks said during a press conference before the public hearing that there will be a learning curve if this bill is passed. He said the proposal was not meant to reproach people making food stamp purchases.

“My intent is not to stigmatize, it’s not to shame people,” Brooks said.

Brooks said during the hearing the bill would require 67 percent of food purchased by FoodShare recipients be included in a federal nutrition program for women, infants and children. He said this particular program’s food list was chosen because it is already federally approved and would increase Wisconsin’s chance of gaining a waiver from the federal government to pass the bill.

Legislature to hear multiple welfare reform proposals

Rep. Evan Goyke, D-Milwaukee, brought in four different kinds of cheese and asked the authors of the bill to point out which kind of cheese could be purchased by FoodShare recipients under the WIC list’s requirements. According to the list, a block of sharp cheddar, a bag of shredded mild cheddar and a 32-ounce block of mild cheddar all would be purchasable with 67 percent of FoodShare funding. He said out of the four cheeses, only a 16-ounce block of mild cheddar was on the list.

”I am going to share the cheese, but I have made the decision that Republicans get 33 percent of the cheese and Democrats get 67 percent,” Goyke said.

Tamara Jackson, representing the Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities, said access to stores with WIC list items would be “disproportionately challenging” for developmentally challenged citizens on FoodShare.

The USDA sets the benefit levels for Foodshare recipients under what is called a “Thrifty Food Plan.” During the press conference, Brooks said the name of the plan did not match the food allowed for purchase.

“I think it would be hard to argue that any plan that uses the word thrifty would include lobster and crab legs,” Brooks said.

In addition to the Foodshare bill, legislators also addressed two bills regarding drug testing. One of the bills requires people to pass a drug test to receive unemployment insurance in the majority of cases. The other requires people to pass a drug test to participate in jobs programs.

Rep. Mike Rohrkaste, R-Neenah, the author of both bills, said during the press conference the two bills will help people find “gainful employment” in the state.

Sarah Zimmermann/The Badger Herald

“These bills are designed to help individuals to be ready and able to find work and that is what is important here in the state of Wisconsin,” Rohrkaste said.

Rohrkaste said these bills were intended to provide more “structure” from Gov. Scott Walker’s similar proposal in the budget. If people fail the drug tests, they would join a treatment program. There is $500,000 put aside for the treatment programs in the bills, he said.