Semester that was: Snugglers join city’s unemployed after short 22-day cuddling stint

Madisonians had a brief love affair with the business phenomenon that was The Snuggle House–strictly platonic, of course. Only in business for 22 days, The Snuggle House stirred both controversy and cuddling.

The Snuggle House faced initial public backlash after city attorneys feared the business may turn into a haven for prostitution. The business maintained that its purpose was to channel “touch therapy” to help its customers “get through a rough time.”

After clearing regulatory hurdles, The Snuggle House opened its doors to cuddlers on Nov. 16. The Snuggle House charged $60 per one hour snuggle session. The staff, known as “snugglers” were all trained in what the The Snuggle House called “Snuggle U.” In training, staff learned protocol and procedure for a helpful, successful snuggling session.

Although it saw some visitors, employees said criticism and harassment ultimately led to The Snuggle House closing on Dec. 6.

However, staff encouraged everyone to “snuggle on” in a post on their Facebook page.