Semester that was: Rec Sports proposes updates to campus facilities

In an effort to address the quality and space shortage in recreational facilities at the University of Wisconsin, Recreational Sports spent the semester developing a master plan for renovation.

Regardless of whether the master plan is implemented or not, students will see an increase in segregated fees to fund maintenance repairs. If the master plan is passed in the spring referendum, Rec Sports is advocating that segregated fees not be increased until the new facilities are opened.

The proposed renovations for the South East Recreational Facility include expanded cardio space, multipurpose rooms, new courts and new courts. Original renderings of the Natatorium were downsized after Rec Sports received feedback from students. However, proposed changes include increased fitness space, new basketball courts, an indoor track and turf gym, an ice rink and increased classroom space.

The age of the facilities became apparent after an outdated pipe burst and flooded the Camp Randall Sports Center and caused the building to remain closed for more than a week. However, the Shell Facility is not included in the master plan.

If the plan is implemented, it will take approximately 30 years to complete.

Students will vote on the master plan in early March.