Crime numbers consistent with past years, Dean of Students says

University of Wisconsin’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report can be read below.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam sent an all-campus email including University of Wisconsin’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report Tuesday.

In the email, Berquam said crime numbers on and around campus remain consistent with past years, but the perceived increase in crime could be the result of  UW’s increasing communications efforts.

Increased communications efforts stem from the Clery Act, a federal law that requires institutions to distribute timely warnings regarding crimes that represent a serious or continuing threat to the safety of students or employees.

The report outlined the difference between a WiscAlert and a timely warning.

Situations for sending a WiscAlert include, but are not limited to: active shooter, significant and serious hazardous materials spill, closing a section of campus, multiple building closings or a mass casualty disaster, the report said. A timely warning is typically sent out for occurrences of murder or non-negligent manslaughter, forcible sex offenses
, robbery,
 aggravated assault, major cases of arson and other crimes deemed necessary, the report said.

The report outlined general safety tips, protective behaviors and measures being taken to decrease sexual assaults, dating violence and stalking.

The report advised students to be alert of potentially dangerous situations and to trust their instincts when they are out and about on or off campus.

“Walk with friends whenever possible or use SafeWalk or SafeBus (all are free),” the report said. “If jogging, walking or biking alone, stay in well-lit and well-traveled areas. When going to a party or a bar, let a friend or roommate know who you are with and where you will be. Leave an address and your phone number with them.”

The report also outlined campus crime statistics and addressed fire systems in UW buildings.

The full report can be found below:

University of Wisconsin’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report

http://students.wisc.edu/docs/Clery_Report_final13.pdf