Plan Commission approves fertilizer plant construction

A city commission approved plans for the demolition of buildings on Dempsey Road to make way for the construction of a remodeled and environmentally friendly fertilizer plant Monday night.

The move called for the destruction of all buildings on the site, located on the street’s 900 block, with demolition beginning on or before Nov. 1. The demolition will take three months to complete, according to project spokesperson Bill White.

Beyond the demolition period, nine to 15 additional months are required to remove high levels of chemicals left behind by the fertilizer plant, White said.

To ensure the area does not become re-polluted, building plans are being made pending the approval of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, White said.

The builders’ desire to keep plans environmentally friendly has led them to decide against their initial plan of moving contaminated soil to a landfill, White says. They will work with the DNR to come up with a more eco-friendly way to dispose of the soil.

The motion to demolish and renovate was unanimously passed by the Plan Commission.

The Plan Commission also looked over several other proposals, all of which were either passed or referred pending further approval.

Among these was a proposal by Joe Lusson and Aleen Tierney to buy the building at 640 E. Gorham St. and lease the land beneath it, which is within James Madison Park. Several committee members expressed concern regarding the preservation of the building as it is a Madison landmark.

Committee member Brad Murphy clarified any changes to or demolition of the building would have to be passed by the Landmarks Commission and the Plan Commission.

An addition to Attic Angels Place Health Center and Assisted Living facility, located at 8301 Old Sauk Rd., was unanimously approved.

The construction of a day care facility at Meriter Hospital was referred to the Urban Design Commission, where a recommendation will be given. No future hearing date has been set.

At its next meeting Oct. 17, the Plan Commission will discuss the construction of 86 apartments at 6854 Stockbridge Dr. and the possible addition of an outdoor eating area and football Saturday beer garden to Hotel Red.