Recall campaign leaders say Democrats harassing supporters

The campaign to recall a Green Bay state senator filed a temporary restraining order against the Democratic Party of Wisconsin Tuesday morning in a Brown County court, alleging the party made harassing phone calls.

The campaign filed their petition against Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, on April 21 with nearly 5,000 more signatures than the required 13,852. The restraining order was filed 11 days later in response to petitioners’ claims that they have been receiving unwelcome calls from DPW members questioning the eligibility of their signatures.

According to the Recall Dave Hansen Campaign Manager David Vander Leest, many of these citizens felt so harassed and intimidated that they had to call the police.

“These calls have been made to a majority of citizens who have signed the recall petition. Some have been called more than six times,” Vander Leest said. “The Democratic Party of Wisconsin senses any weakness, and they will call multiple times.”

Many stated the callers would begin the conversation with, “I know your full name and address, can you please validate your signature on this recall petition”? Vander Leest said.

He added the people contacted by the DPW told him they were harassed in other ways, not just repeated calling, he said.

Leaders of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin said they rejected Vander Leest’s accusations and claim that the telephone calls were made respectfully, politely and only after numerous reports concerning the integrity of the signatures on the petitions were voiced.

“We have called people to confirm their votes. It is in no way harassing. The restraining order is a pathetic attempt by Republicans to cover up their ethically questionable petitioning tactics,” said Democratic spokesperson Phil Walzak.

The ethical actions in question include a petition signature that allegedly belongs to a deceased man and numerous signatures from criminals.

Spokespeople from the DPW said they are confident these unethical actions are cause for the surplus of 5,000 signatures.

“Given the nature of this whole landscape, and the fact that we are finding so many unethical reports, it is important that we verify all of the votes. We have handled ourselves respectfully,” said Walzak. “We really are just trying to see if they intended to have their names on the petition.”