K-9 unit stops man running from police after domestic dispute

A Madison police officer and his police dog arrested a man on the run Monday afternoon for battering and strangling a woman, adding to growing cases of domestic violence in Madison.

Shannon Barry, executive director of Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, said the center has seen a steady increase in the number of people requesting their services. She added victims are experiencing more severe violence, including more death threats, strangulations and mutilations.

The suspect in Monday’s incident, 29-year-old Xavier Chamblis, punched, kicked and strangled a 22-year-old woman until she blacked out, according to the report. The victim said the two had been dating for a couple of weeks and were watching a movie before he attacked her.

As police responded to a 911 call placed by a neighbor, Chamblis fled and the officers immediately began a foot pursuit.

During the chase, Chamblis ran by the South District Police Station where an officer and his police dog were just leaving. After learning that Chamblis was fleeing for domestic abuse, the officer pulled up next to him, according to the incident report.

The officer ordered Chamblis to halt, but the suspect kept running until the officer threatened to let the police dog out of the car. The dog then barked at Chamblis, causing him to freeze.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the department normally does not release reports of domestic violence, but this case was an exception because of its involvement with the police dog. He said domestic violence is a huge problem facing campus and Madison in general.

“I see some horrendous reports where people are seriously injured quite frequently,” DeSpain said. “[The department] also sees a lot of cases of strangulation. It’s a very serious issue.”

Barry said according to the Dane County District Attorney’s office, one-third of arrests each year are domestic violence cases. Noting the crime is nationally recognized as being underreported, Barry said she estimates around 12,000 incidents of domestic violence occur in Dane County annually.

“People who use violence against their partners have a sense of entitlement; they believe they should be the center of their partner’s world,” Barry said. “They use whatever tactic they can to retain power in their relationships.”

In regard to apprehending Chamblis, DeSpain said it is not uncommon to see cases where suspects are running or resisting arrest, and the presence of a police dog causes them to comply without any use of physical force.

MPD Capt. Vic Wahl said the K-9 units enable officers to do their jobs in a more effective manner. He added the dogs improve officer safety because they can safely perform tasks that would normally put officers at risk.

Along with helping protect police officers, the police dogs also locate evidence, find missing persons and make public appearances in the community, Wahl said.

“Our [K-9] unit is funded entirely through community donations,” Wahl said. “It’s a good partnership with the public.”