Board suspends Alpha Epsilon Pi

AEPi_SG
Although AEPi is suspended indefinitely, the fraternity will have another hearing in October to decide if the sanction will be dropped, extended or expanded.[/media-credit]

The Greek Judicial Board suspended University of Wisconsin fraternity Alpha Epsilon Pi Monday for an indefinite period of time, revoking the chapter’s membership privileges in the Greek community.

The board placed AEPi on indefinite suspension until October, at which time another hearing will be held to review the sanction, according to Chief Justice Ashkon Kiarashi.

The fraternity went before the Greek Judicial Board Feb. 3 after a letter (pdf) submitted to Dean of Students Lori Berquam, Coordinator of Greek Life and Involvement Barb Kautz and an AEPi representative by the Overture Center for the Arts alleged there were a number of serious problems with a party held there Dec. 4, 2009.

The letter said AEPi did not have sober monitors or comply with crowd control efforts, engaged in lewd behavior and allegedly stole or carried in a bottle of wine. The letter also included quotes from reports filed by event and security staff members.

The fraternity was on social probation at the time of the party, which prohibited the fraternity from holding social events. However, AEPi said the night was a philanthropy event that raised $2,010 for Jewish charity organization B’nai B’rith, which later put the money toward aiding Haiti.

According to Judicial Board bylaws, the October hearing will be used to review the fraternity’s efforts to fulfill the terms of the suspension. If they have been met, the board can reinstate AEPi’s Interfraternity Council membership.

If terms have not been met, the Judicial Board can choose to extend the suspension, impose additional conditions or terms or begin expulsion proceedings.

In the meantime, the fraternity can also choose to appeal the decision to IFC, according to Kautz. IFC can then overturn, uphold or extend the sanctions.

AEPi President Jeff Herscott confirmed he had read the decision, but declined to comment further.

Associate Dean of Students Kevin Helmkamp said the same complaint is working its way through the Committee on Student Organizations.

“The CSO process is in the works, and I believe they are looking to schedule a meeting with AEPi within the next few weeks,” Helmkamp said. “It has not been finalized yet, and CSO has not yet acted.”

AEPi’s national headquarters did not return calls as of press time.