Doyle delivers State of State

Amid a $2.7 billion budget deficit and concerns over health care reform and job loss, Gov. Jim Doyle delivered his eighth and final State of the State Address Tuesday, focusing on green job creation, health care reform and education.

The governor addressed a joint meeting of the state Legislature Tuesday night and said he recognizes he is governing at a difficult time in America’s history.

“We have been hit hard by an economic crisis — the depths of which we have not seen since the Great Depression,” Doyle said. “Far too many remain unemployed. Far too many are making do with a paycheck that doesn’t go as far as it used to. And far too many are living with the fear that they might lose their jobs and their health care.”

Doyle said one of his top priorities for his last year in office is job creation and attracting and keeping businesses in the state. He said he will continue to support economic development tools like tax credits for businesses and start-up tools for entrepreneurs.

Doyle also urged the Legislature to support his plan to create a Regional Transit Authority in southeast Wisconsin, and the Connecting Opportunity, Research Entrepreneurship Jobs Act.

“Our country will emerge from this recession and when that happens,

Wisconsin is positioned for the future,” Doyle said. “We must… seize the opportunity to grow a strong new part of our economy in clean energy.”

According to Doyle, Wisconsin spends $16 billion every year in energy costs. He encouraged the Legislature to not let partisanship get in the way of passing the Clean Energy Jobs Act, which would strengthen energy standards and reduce energy consumption.

Doyle also announced he is creating a new $100 million loan program titled “Wisconsin Green to Gold” that would help manufacturers reduce energy costs and move into the clean energy economy.

Another focus of Doyle’s address was healthcare reform in the state. He praised the BadgerCare programs as “badly needed” ways for people to receive health care that may have lost jobs and are currently ineligible for other programs.

“It’s hard for me to imagine how someone could oppose this,” Doyle said. “But some

apparently are worried the insurance companies might be upset.

“To me, that’s an easy choice. I’m standing with the people of Wisconsin who desperately need health care.”

Doyle added the investments in jobs and the economy must be built upon a strong educational system.

“We can’t tell a second grader, ‘come back when the economy recovers, we’ll give

you an education then.’ And we can’t tell high school students who have earned their way into our great university system, ‘I’m sorry, there’s not a place for you,'” Doyle said.

Doyle said he is proud Wisconsin has not made the drastic cuts in education that have been seen in other states and instead have invested in programs like 4-year-old kindergarten, small class sizes and helping kids go to college.

“We have nearly tripled financial aid for University of Wisconsin students since I took office,” Doyle said. “I’m proud to say that even in these tough times, we are educating more students in our university system today then at any time in our history.”

Rep. Jeff Smith, D-Eau Claire, said he thought the speech was a good summary of Doyle’s achievements in office.

“People need to step back and realize that a lot has been accomplished in seven years,” Smith said.

However, Doyle’s address was not met with unanimous support.

Rep. Robin Vos, R-Caledonia, said in a statement the truth of Wisconsin’s situation is much different than what Doyle portrayed.

“Doyle claimed he didn’t raise taxes even though the last budget imposed the highest tax increase in Wisconsin history,” Vos said in the release. “Doyle’s nostalgically delusional stroll down memory lane tonight should be enough to convince Wisconsin’s families that Wisconsin needs a drastic change in leadership.”

Milwaukee County Executive and Republican candidate for governor Scott Walker also voiced criticism of Doyle at his “State of the Economy” address at the Capitol Tuesday.

Walker accused Doyle and the Democratic-controlled Assembly and Senate of supporting job-killing legislation and increasing the tax burden on Wisconsin citizens.

“I’m pleased some of our citizens are doing well,” Walker said. “However, the truth is that the majority of citizens I talk with across this great state are scared.”

According to Walker, Wisconsin lost 163,000 jobs last year and one out of ten people in the state have lost their job under Doyle’s leadership.

“It’s time to change the way Madison thinks and the way government does business,” Walker said. “It’s time for us to take our government back and to move our state in a new direction.”

Walker singled out Doyle’s proposed global warming legislation as particularly damaging to the state because it would require billions of dollars of spending and citizens could be paying higher utility bills.

He cited a study from the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute that predicts the loss of an additional 43,000 jobs if the legislation is implemented.

“It’s time for us to take our government back and to move our state in a new direction. A direction founded on the principles of limited government, economic opportunity and personal freedom,” Walker said. “Unfortunately, the state of Wisconsin’s economy is weak. Fortunately, the determination of our people is strong, very strong.”

Walker called on Doyle and the Legislature to halt the global warming legislation, as well as other legislation that adds economic costs to the state.

Walker said his main priority is making Wisconsin an attractive option for starting and maintaining a business. This would mean lowering taxes, decreasing government spending and reducing excessive regulation

Assembly Majority Leader Thomas Nelson, D-Kaukauna, said Walker’s speech may sound good but is not a true representation of his actions as County Executive.

“The County Executive has a long track record of talking big and delivering little and today’s speech follows in the same vein,” Nelson said. “For him to come out today and say he’s interested in jobs is hypocritical at best and disingenuous at worst.”