Winter parking rules take hold

It may be unusually warm for the middle of November, but the city of Madison put into effect its annual winter parking restrictions Saturday in anticipation of the inevitable winter snow storms.

According to a statement from the Madison Streets Department, under the city’s alternate side parking restrictions, residents must park on the side of the street with odd house numbers on odd-numbered days between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. Conversely, on even-numbered days, vehicles must be parked on the even -house-numbered side of the street between the same hours.

These restrictions, which last until March 15, are in effect regardless of weather conditions, the statement said.

Because the restrictions begin at 1 a.m., the city urges people parking their vehicles at night to anticipate the next day’s date when deciding where to park. For instance, the city asked those parking on the evening of Nov. 14 to park on the odd-numbered side of the street.

A violator of winter parking regulations within an alternate side parking zone will incur a $20 fine. Violations in both zones during a declared snow emergency will result in a $60 fine and a $110 fine if the car is towed, according to the statement.

Much of the downtown area, however, is exempt from the rules. Since 1995, the Downtown-Isthmus Snow Emergency Zone, which borders Park Street, Proudfit Street, Thorton Avenue and the Yahara River, has been bound to the alternate side parking rules only during a snow emergency, which is declared when there are three or more inches of snow.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district falls within the emergency zone, said before the city created the zone, people living downtown were inconvenienced by having to move their cars every night, as well as a loss of half the scarce available parking.

“In the 15 years since the city created the downtown snow emergency zone, it has been an improvement to the quality of life of downtown residents,” Verveer said.

Despite the thousands of dollars the city spends on winter parking public education campaigns each year, Verveer said many residents remain unaware of parking rules.

The continual challenge to keep residents informed is exacerbated by the constantly changing student population, Verveer said.

Currently, Madison residents can sign up to receive text message and e-mail alerts during a snow emergency through the city’s website.