Local CEO may run for governor

With Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton recently rescinding her candidacy for Wisconsin governor, a Madison businessman is now considering a run.

Kevin Conroy, CEO of the Madison-based EXACT Sciences Corporation, is said to be mulling entering the gubernatorial race for the Democrats.

Maggie Brick, executive director of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, said the DPW supports Conroy as a possible candidate.

“Kevin Conroy obviously brings a unique perspective of someone who’s been very successful in the private sector and (with) that business background — being someone who has employed people and worked to create jobs — he could definitely be a compelling candidate,” Brick said.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, who lost the 2002 Democratic primary to Gov. Jim Doyle, is also considering a bid for governor but has yet to make an announcement.

Conroy’s brother-in-law is Joel Brennan, who ran Barrett’s 2002 campaign for governor. He told the Wisconsin State Journal that others need to be ready to run if Barrett decides against it.

“In the event Tom does not decide to run, there need to be other people who are taking steps to run serious statewide campaigns,” Brennan said.

Bruce Pfaff, spokesperson for Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Neumann, said Neumann is not concerned with who is running on behalf of the Democrats.

“It doesn’t matter who’s in and who’s not in,” Pfaff said. “[Neumann] has a plan and a strategy to get that plan in front of the voters and talk about the issues that are important,” Neumann added, citing high taxes and high state spending.

Neither Conroy nor Barrett could be reached for comment.