H1N1 flu kills 4 residents of state

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services announced Wednesday four more state residents have died from the H1N1 virus over the past week.

In a weekly update statement released by DHS, the agency reported two deaths in Milwaukee County, one death in Oconto County and one death in Eau Claire County. Details such as age and gender were not released.

These recent deaths bring the toll for H1N1-related fatalities in Wisconsin up to 14 for the year, the statement said.

According to Stephanie Marquis, spokesperson for DHS, the flu situation in the state is consistent with what has been seen nationwide.

“Regarding the illness, the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] says H1N1 is widespread in 46 states — that is to say, it exists in 50 states but is widespread in 46,” Marquis said. “Both nationwide and in the state, we have seen flu deaths go up higher than typical for this time of year.”

Marquis also said the vaccine supply is less than what health officials originally expected. She said at first the state wanted to host statewide vaccination clinics, but now the focus has narrowed to those at highest risk, including young children, those under 18 with certain health problems and various health care professionals.

“The CDC hasn’t changed its target group, but in Wisconsin, DHS has made it more focused as our way of minimizing hospitalization and mortality rates,” Marquis said.

Marquis added the limited vaccines will be distributed evenly to those high-risk groups across the state, meaning one area of the state will not have more vaccination opportunities than another.

Sarah Van Orman, director of University Health Services, said she does not think reports of continuing, sporadic H1N1 casualties are surprising.

“I don’t think [the deaths] reflect a change in severity of the virus, but we are seeing an upsurge in cases,” Van Orman said.

Van Orman added UHS rescheduled its campuswide vaccination clinic because of DHS recommendations to restrict vaccinations to a core group. The clinic’s tentative date is now Nov. 10.